GO!

A clean beard

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Rudy

you're not the- boss of me!

Barked: Thu Feb 8, '07 12:51pm PST 
Before I begin, I know how completely ridiculous this sounds. I already lectured my sister but it got me curious.

My sister and her fiancee love Rudy so much they decided this was the breed of dog for them. I helped them find a breeder here in SK, they live in Calgary. I recently put the deposit down for them for a litter due in March. They originally wanted a black like Rudy, or a black and silver but they are not easy to find in SK. Therefore, I showed them pictures of the salt and peppers that this breeder has produced and my sister loves them. So, the deposit is down...my sisters fiancee comes back into Calgary from work and is excited to see the pictures, when she shows him he says "I don't like that dog, I don't like the white around her nose, and on the beard, look, the beard is all dirty. I don't like white dogs"

Well I flipped out. First, the dog isn't white, it has white markings...a mini is not comparable to your typical "white dog" whatsoever. And then I told her that I do not understand how ANY human being could think that that sweet little mini schnauzer puppy was not cute. I also told her that I think the browning around the beard was from the iron in the water that the dog drinks (I don't know if this is true). We don't have this problem with Rudy because she is black, but her beard does get gross after a couple weeks from drinking, dragging on the ground, eating bones, food...etc. All you mini owners probably know what I mean. We just clean it, brush it out..and voila. IF it is really bad, we give her a full bath.

So anyway...I think that my sisters fiancee was just saying this to get a rise out of her. But in regards to the beard stains, are there products to get rid of that? Would it not happen as badly if you were to give the dog bottled water to drink?

If ultimately my sisters fiancee really is heartless, then maybe the puppy will just have to come live with us red face
[notify]
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Thu Feb 8, '07 1:11pm PST 
Sometimes people say things they don't mean because they really don't know what it is they're talking about.

When I showed my husband pictures of KBTs he thought they looked weird and stupid. Of course, they were in show trim. Who does that for a pet?

By the time he met Arrow (I got one anyway...) she'd been home for a few weeks and was shaved clean except for a goatee. She'd been filthy and matted to the core and the only think I could successfully untangle was a little beard.

He suddenly thought kerries were the best thing ever and he was glad I didn't get one of those stupid looking dogs.

He could never see past haircuts. Still can't.

And for a clean beard on a black/white/grey dog use whitening shampoo...yes, the same thing they use for snow-white bichons. It works.

Edited by author Thu Feb 8, '07 1:13pm PST

[notify]
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Thu Feb 8, '07 1:11pm PST 
douple post

Edited by author Thu Feb 8, '07 1:12pm PST

[notify]

Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Thu Feb 8, '07 2:46pm PST 
Clean beard? What's that? smile

I've heard of fellow Beardie owners using a baking soda/water mixture to keep their beards clean. Check on that fact before trying it, though!

Of course, Beardies have far different coats than Schnauzers do. I'm not sure whether it will work for your type of coat.
[notify]
Rudy

you're not the- boss of me!

Barked: Thu Feb 8, '07 3:03pm PST 
Thanks Arrow! I don't know anyone who couldn't love a Kerry either! We have one in our obedience class right now and as much as her owners joke about how poorly behaved she is (she tends to jump a lot and well...behave like a terrier) I fell in love with her as soon as I laid eyes on her!

I am not sure REALLY what my sisters fiancee implied by his comments, whether he was just saying that to get a rise out of her, or if he truly would hate the dog simply because it had some white on it. I really hope that he wouldn't hate the dog, but he is a neat freak so if I found out a way to let him know how he could keep the dogs beard clean then I don't see him having any problem performing the necessary duties to do so. I just think that is the most ridiculous reason for not wanting a particular dog. I really think he should be able to see past a dirty beard.

Maybe I should prepare her though for the possibility that they cannot go through with the dog transaction(in which case I might have to wiggle my way into taking the pup instead!). I had to give up my sweet St. Bernard puppy because my fiancee just couldn't get accustomed to her and the inevitability of a huge dog being in our house. The breeder understood and took her back, she is in a great home now and that makes me happy but I still miss her to bits. I guess now with Rudy we have all that "big dog attitude" in a small package!
[notify]