GO!

Are people clippers and dog clippers the same?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cosby

Cuddlebug- Extraordinaire!

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 1:20pm PST 
My mommy is a cheapskate, but she loves me. She wanted to grow my hair long, but now that she sees what that entails, she has decided to clip me when the weather gets warmer.
Anyway, pricewise, doggy hair clippers are roughly $50 - $70 a set, and the groomer costs $35 or so a visit. Mommy wants to take me to the groomer, see how she does it, and then learn to clip me herself. She has two sets of people hair clippers, and wants to know if these can be used on me, or are the doggy clippers somehow different?
Oh, and if anyone *wants* to pmail us a detailed description of this grooming process, then we would be really pleased to have it.
Thanks.
[notify]
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 1:29pm PST 
People clippers and doggie clippers are very different things. The blades for people clippers are not made to go through the type of hair dogs have, the blade lengths are entirely reversed, and they're just not powerful enough to get the results that you're going to want.

Even the catergory of dog clippers is very broad. If I were you, I'd splurge a little more and buy some professional clippers. The ones in your price range will work, but they tend to wear out very quickly and, rather than replacing one small part or another, you have to buy an entirely new set. Definitely not cost-effective in the long-run smile.

My recommendation--find a groomer you trust and make sure she'll let you watch, something you were intending to do anyhow. Take a notebook and have her explain everything she's doing, with what blade length, etc. She'll be able to see your pups coat first-hand and let you know precisely what you're going to need, and a good, affordable place to order everything.

You'll definitely need a quality set of clippers, and a variety of blades to go with it (a #10 for sanitary areas and feet, something longer for the body, a #40 and a comb attachment maybe...), shears, toenail clippers, cool lube, blade cleaner, etc. etc.

Good luck!
Angel

Miss Tiny H iny

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 1:36pm PST 
Angel's got such a small body and face......I use Wahl mustache
clippers from WalMart.
[notify]

Cosby

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 1:59pm PST 
Wow, thanks, Gretta. That is precisely what I wanted to know. We were just thinking that getting clippers may be cheaper and easier in the long run than actually going to the groomer for a cut... now Mommy is not so sure, bol! (Stupid mommy - of course it would be more cost efficient, I think she is just to lazy to learn how to cut my hair!) We will use your suggestions when spring gets here, I'm sure.
And Angel, we hadn't thought of that! Right now, Mommy trims my, and Bo's faces with scissors. She practically has to sit on us to make us still enough, and then she has to use a weird angle so that she doesn't point the tips toward our eyes. Tricky! The mustache clippers sound so much easier! Thanks!
[notify]
Malika

I am a little- princess

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 5:03pm PST 
Uh-oh..my momma was reading and read mustache clippers and she thinks that is a brillian idea. I am in for it now! I hate sitting still enough for my momma to cut my hair. Now I think she is gonna try and use this new idea on me....thanks a bunch Angel...bol!
[notify]
Angel

Miss Tiny H iny

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 5:25pm PST 
Just so you'll know.....cause no one told me.....get a can of
Kool-Lube.....even tho I use the shortest blade guard on these
mustache clippers....the blade does heat up......this stuff cools the
blade down and lubricates it at the same time. I had to get this stuff
at a Pet Store.....WalMart won't have it in their pet section.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 10:26pm PST 
When I get home trimmed, mommie uses a cheap people clippers. I know, she's looking forward to buying a good doggie clippers, but it comes with a hefty price tag and until we can make that purchase, we're stuck with what we have.

Here's what I notice...
When my groomer trims me with the fancy doggie clippers, she only needs to run through my fur once and my coat is as straight as a freshly cut lawn. When my parents use the human clippers, they have to run through the same spot 5 or 6 times to get a decent cut, and they still have to do "finishing touches" using a pair of scissors.

If I just want to look "clean" and not "shabby" home grooming works for me. If I want to look sleek, then I have to go to my groomer.

My groomer charges $50-60 for my poodle hair cut (she's really really really good), which isn't cheap. So everytime my parents give me a "home" job, they put away $50 in a mental vault. When they collect enough to buy me a fancy clipper, then they'll make that purchase.

Edited by author Tue Jan 9, '07 10:28pm PST

[notify]
Angel

Miss Tiny H iny

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 11:38pm PST 
Yeah Snowy.....Mama has that problem too IF she waits more than
2 weeks to shave me.....and when she says SHAVE she means SHAVE. I am almost a Chinese Crested. She just hasn't seen any
doggie clippers that are the width that these mustache clippers are.
So if she waits more than 2 weeks to shave me (and this almost
never happens) she has to do me twice.....it takes it off the first
time....and she finesses it the second. You may not can tell it in my
pictures, Snowy.....but I AM BALD.....even at 2 weeks my hair is
less than 1/8 of an inch long..... She had a pair of doggie clippers
when she first got me (she had inherited them) but I am so tiny and
they were so wide that she couldn't get my armpits with them and
they were wider than my face is long. So as long as she keeps my
"shaving" done at 2 weeks and less......it's been working with these
mustache clippers.
[notify]
Diabaloo

See me, pat me- love me

Barked: Wed Jan 10, '07 5:06am PST 
We bought a $70 pair of Wahl pet clippers at PetCo and TRIED to do Baloo ourselves. Not a good experience. The clippers would not cut right and when I showed my groomer she laughed. They pay over $200 per pair of clippers they use and they last for years so my advice is to wait until you can afford the better brand that will last and work properly. Wasting money is hard to swallow!
[notify]
Cosby

Barked: Wed Jan 10, '07 1:55pm PST 
This is starting to sound really scary. I think Mommy should get some mustache clippers for my face and feet, and let the groomer handle the rest! I'm sure she can manage that... I don't think I want her near me now! Maybe we will rethink the long hair idea. Combing sounds so much easier, bol!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2