GO!

This might sound silly - tear stains

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Ailbhe - R.I.P

R.I.P Ailbhe

Barked: Mon Jul 10, '06 9:01pm PST 
Ok, last night I was given Ailbhe... I suspect she was being fed poor quality food and kept somewhere unclean (in fact, we were told the people who own the mother of my two pups were feeding the puppies chopped up chipiladas) - anyhow, she has awful tear stains all around her eyes.

I've changed her diet to the same as Pippin (puppy milk from the vet and premium puppy food) so hopefully there will be no more "tears"

What I want to know though is, will the stains go away by themself or will I need to clean them off? She doesn't seem to appreciate being washed too much though I had to give her a huge wash last night as she had feaces all on the inside of her legs and stomach

Cheers! smile
[notify]
Gloryficous

No- sleeping...only- playing!

Barked: Tue Jul 11, '06 5:24am PST 
It's really common for light colored dog to have tear stains. There are a variety of things that cause the staining, and once the hair is stained, you can't really get it out. However, if the cause of the staining (such as a bad diet) is changed, the discolored hair will eventually be shed and replaced by non-stained hair. The main thing you need to do for her is make sure her face is clean and that there are no crusties accumulating in the corner of her eyes.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Jul 11, '06 6:40am PST 
I see you are taking them to the vet next week - it may be that she has an eye problem so hopefully the vet will take care of it. I would say that her eyes don't look quite as open or clear as Pipin's. They are both really beautiful little things.

By the way, mummy has actually been to Rotorua - the stinkiest place in the world she says BOL She lived in NZ for 5 years.

Edited by author Tue Jul 11, '06 6:44am PST

[notify]

Bella

COOKIES RULE

Barked: Tue Jul 11, '06 7:40am PST 
Mommy said that she read somewhere that if you give your dog a small amount (a teaspoon or so) of plain yogurt three times a week it helps with staining.Of course Mommy tried this on me and I refused to eat the yougurt.BOL.There's also special stain removing stuff you can buy at pet stores.
[notify]
Bella

COOKIES RULE

Barked: Tue Jul 11, '06 7:41am PST 
Mommy said that she read somewhere that if you give your dog a small amount (a teaspoon or so) of plain yogurt three times a week it helps with staining.Of course Mommy tried this on me and I refused to eat the yougurt.BOL.There's also special stain removing stuff you can buy at pet stores.
[notify]
Suzy- ♥- Dreyfus

Gramma Suzy

Barked: Tue Jul 11, '06 8:19am PST 
Congratulations on the new baby. We loved the pages, very sweet indeed. Because she is a little baby she won't enjoy the bathing but continue as she will have to be bathed her whole life. The earlier you start the easier for her.

My poodle kids are prone to tear stains. You purchase a gel from the pet shop that will help you clean that up. Then daily gently wash her little face. Our mom uses a nice warm washcloth that feels like a mama dog lickin' your face. You can wash that pretty little face after meals and do the eyes too. It will go away. We use petroleum jelly to keep the tears from staining the fur.

Hope this helps! Love the puppy, so cute!
[notify]
Daisy May

For the love of- running

Barked: Thu Jul 13, '06 12:36am PST 
There are several things that cause tear staining and in order to completely get rid off the tear staining you have to figure out what is causing it.
Genetics (dogs that are prone to tear staining and pass it on to the next generation and so on)

Poor diet ( feeding a high quality food such as Merricks, Chicken Soup, Innova may help get rid of the tear staining)

Water (tap water or city water can cause tear staining, you need to have them on distilled water)

Allergies, if you dog has allergies this may cause tear staining

Eyes may have overactive tear ducts which can lead to staining or eyelids may not be deep enough to catch the tears causing constant tearing (dogs with short muzzles are prone to this), a vet is the only one who can determine this.

Washing a dog's face can help them from not getting worse but it will not make it go away.

As far as products go, I would not bother with products you buy at your regular pet stores, unless the tear staining is very minor to hardly any at all then they really don't work and are a waste of money.

The products on the market are Eye Envy (a topical)
www.eyeenvy.com
and Angel Eyes a supplement or antibotic that you sprinkle on the food and it does work wonders and will clear up tear staining and make your dog's entire coat white even the paws if they are stained.
www.angeleyesonline.com and if you want free shipping after checking out the website then go to http://www.botanicaldog.com/products.php?cat=11
[notify]
Roxie-Always in our hearts....

Get off me- kid......

Barked: Sat Jul 15, '06 6:28am PST 
Mom has always given us bottled water and we don't have those.
[notify]