GO!

can u shave a german shepherd mix?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Spider. phd- of bs

comic genius

Barked: Tue Apr 18, '06 7:09pm PST 
My boy is shedding sooo bad, that it even annoys him. he hates it. i have the furminator, and get massive amounts of hair, i have the blade brush, 2 different rubber things, one is for horses, the wire brush, and 2 fine combs. with all these tools, rotating different every day, still shed shed shed. i know it is the spring shed, but can i have him shaved so he is cool, and no shed? i wouldnt do it bald or anything, but with a guard? i know that this breed usually doesnt get haircuts, but is it bad for them to have one? I can keep vacuming 2 times a day, but like i said, it even drives him nuts.it gets all over his chew stuff and he gags.
[notify]
Gunner

Barked: Tue Apr 18, '06 7:52pm PST 
My in-laws had a German Shepherd that they use to shave down some for the summer. It never bothered him any. In fact, he seemed to like it. Well, not at the time they were shaving him smile but after it was done.
[notify]
Athena

Barked: Tue Apr 18, '06 7:56pm PST 
You can shave down any dog breed. I know how it can be with Shepherds, I dread seeing Shepherds and Lab's come in for boarding this time of the year LOL

An alternative to shaving would be to either take your Shepherd to a Groomer and have him blow out with a High Velocity dryer then brushed and go over with a shedding blade or a 10 blade (a 10 blade is great for carding - not shaving)

Or, see if you can rent a tub and dryer from a local groomer and do it yourself. Keep drying with the H/V until 110% dry (they don't run hot) put right down to the skin and the coat will blow completely out.

If this is impossible then shaving is an alternative.

Good luck
[notify]

Baxter

He's Big! He's- Bad! He's- BAXTERRRRRR!!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 18, '06 8:12pm PST 
I'm a groomer and I will tell you that you CAN shave Spider. I would however take him to a Groomer because for one, if he's never had it done before he will probably be a little nervouse and they will be able to handle him with care, and two they will do a good job and be able to help you pick the best length to take Spider to. I will tell you though that he will still shed, it will just be shorter hairs.I would check around though, because a lot of places offer a SHED CONTROL - SHED ELIMINATOR program that can help with all that hair! They also should have a force air dryer that will REALLY help get a lot of that under caot out. Which is your biggest problem. So, all and all you can do whatever you think will make you and your spider more comfy. But, you CAN shave him. Just check around and find a good groomer(if you don't already have one). Pick one that you are comfortable with. I hope I helped and didn't confuse you more. I just want you to know the facts. If you have any other questions, you can always email me.

From Baxter's mommy
[notify]
Athena

Barked: Wed Apr 19, '06 6:01am PST 
Just to add, that at the grooming shop I work at we brush the dogs out while they are lathered up in shampoo. This gets a ton of undercoat out. As mentioned, you'll never get all the coat out, but, you can get a huge amount out.
When we groom double coated breeds, and we do thousands of them LOL We have a special rubber bath brush (or you can use a slicker) and when the shampoo is lathered (a conditioning shampoo is great) we brush out the entire dog. Then rinse, lather up again and repeat. After the dog is rinsed the second time we then use the high velocity dryer and we a ton more coat and loose undercoat out, while blowing out continue brushing as this will help loosen dead coat.
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Wed Apr 19, '06 11:50am PST 
to add on what the others have said...if you do use a slicker in the bath Don't press very hard because you will either rip the skin open or give him a nice case of brush burn. i would caution having simply because some double coated dogs don't regrow properly, meaning the coat usually comes in thin and scraggly looking. but thatonly happens to some of the dogs not all, but i just wanted to let you know.

i Love the H/V drier for undercoat removal! use it before the bath on a dry coat to loosen the hair(it may look like it's snowing) then bathe and brush with plenty of conditioner to loosen even more hair(let it sit about 5 minutes) then rinse and go for it with the drier again! after completely dried from the bath go after that coat with the furminator or what ever other tool you prefeer and brush till you can see skin when you part the coat. that's my method though others may do things slightly different.
[notify]
Athena

Barked: Wed Apr 19, '06 6:28pm PST 
I have never had any problems with using a slicker brush on a Shepherd in the tub. I also use them on Rottweilers and other breeds in the tub. A rake I can understand giving cautions regarding.

Edited by author Wed Apr 19, '06 7:34pm PST

[notify]
Gloryficous

No- sleeping...only- playing!

Barked: Wed Apr 19, '06 9:13pm PST 
Yes, you can have him shaved, but I wouldn't suggest it. For starters, he's still going to shed. Shedding hair is something that his skin does, so no amount of cutting is going to change that. Secondly, its not going to make him any cooler. Dog's do not sweat; they don't use their skin to cool themselves, so exposing their skin by cutting the hair doesn't affect their comfort level. Quite the opposite, it leaves them prone to sunburn and even heat stroke during the hottest part of the year. I'm a groomer, and if you came in to see me, I'd suggest we do the low-shed treatment first to see if that takes care of it.
[notify]
Spider. phd- of bs

comic genius

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 6:55am PST 
thank you all for your advice. i know it wouldnt make him cooler, but i thought maybe with getting him shaved, it would help with the undercoat and just reduce the shed a little. i took him to the petco groomer, and they use all the same brushes that i have. it was a month ago since the bath, and i cant bathe him too often because of his skin. i do brush him every day though. should i seek a different groom place than petco? i took him there because it looks all fancy, and they seemed very thorough, but i know shepherds dont get groomed as often as other breeds.
[notify]
Honey

Sleep on the- floor - yeah right!!

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 12:30pm PST 
if you have your shep shaved when his coat grows back the shedding will be ten times as bad - so no not a good idea!!!! what the others have suggested is a great idea - and he doesnt have to be bathed every time he goes to the groomer - just have the blow out done -i do that for one gsd that moults a lot and his owner finds it really helps he comes in every couple of weeks puppy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3