GO!

Dog aggression in the breed?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '12 8:34pm PST 
My brother-in-law was talking about his parent's Pyr, who was severely dog aggressive. He's under the impression that this is a breed trait, but is it really? My girl, though she's a mix, is very good with other dogs, just a bit no nonsense around rambunctious ones. My foster is picky about the company he keeps. It seems like many Pyrs that I've met live in multi-dog households just fine. Yet, I had read from some sources while researching the breed that dog aggression is significant in the breed. How much truth is there to this?
[notify]
Zues

The Gentle Giant

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 9:55am PST 
I don't believe this is an aggressive breed by nature, but Pyr's who are working dogs tend to be more dominant than Pyr's who are indoor dogs. They tend to be more "serious" than other breeds, especially the working dogs who are "on the job". A lot of people assume my Pyr is aggressive solely based on his size (he is 140+ lbs) and I think this is because a lot of people do not have a lot of experience with dogs of this size. The do tend to be dominant and most dominant dogs will take advantage of a person they know is fearful of dogs. My Pyr is the friendliest dog in the neighborhood and loves to "go out and play" with he kids, but I wouldn't want to see what he could do to someone who he deemed to be an imminent threat to one of those kids (or to his family). All Pyr's I have known tend to be like mine, a "gentle giant"!
[notify]