GO!

Training Tips For Pyrenees?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tyr

Barked: Sat Jul 16, '11 8:15am PST 
I originally got a half border collie, half Pyrenees mix - and I fell in love with her. I also fell in love with the Pyr breed and so when it came time to get my 4 month old a playmate, we went and got Tyr - Our new 7 week old purebred Pyrenees.

Freya has been obnoxiously easy to train (Our mix!) in most things and Tyr is getting really good at pottying outside and even coming when he's called (Though this is sporadic - and I've only had him 3 days now) but when it comes to his crate, even if I'm in the room with him, he HOWLS. Loud. And cries.

There are times where he will be perfectly silent and happily laying there, and then he just randomly cries. And at night, good luck getting him to quiet down at all!

He has two toys in there to chew on - as he does love to chew - and a soft fleece to nom on because he seems to like the softer things as well right now due to being so young. I don't acknowledge him when he cries/howls because I don't want him thinking that gets him anywhere - but he's gone for hours before with very few breaks.

What are suggestions when training a Pyr? What are suggestions when crate training one? My house is built in an odd shape, so finding baby gates is less than easy (I have large archways, and I'm still moving into it, so there are boxes everywhere - I don't want to lose the puppy. He keeps going behind furniture and I can't find him haha)
[notify]
Lillie

Goat Guardian

Barked: Mon Oct 17, '11 7:15am PST 
I know this post is a little old, but Pyrenees are stubborn...if they don't want to do something they wont. Just reward and be patient. They are bred to think for themselves when protecting livestock. It may take them a few minutes to do what you want them to do, but just patience is key. Our pyrenees wasn't hard to train, its just sometimes she doesn't want to sit when I say it. ALthough ours is a livestock guardian and does her job VERY will at only 5 months old.
[notify]