GO!

Is Abbey Sick?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Abby

"Our Great- Japanese" says 6- yr old dd

Barked: Tue Oct 6, '09 5:56am PST 
Abbey is a great pyrenees. She has always been a little on the lazy, mopey side but it seems she is even more so lately. Also, she has been puking yellow foaming stuff about 1-2 times per week. I called the doctor and they suggested more food. I have done this and thought it was working since she hasn't puked since, almost a week, but she did again this morning. I haven't changed her food but have noticed she isn't eating as much as she used to. She goes to the food, sniffs it and leaves. When she finally gets very hungry she eats it. As I said, she is more mopey or at least I think she is. I may be over analyzing though. She never was active. However if I call her for a treat, she gets really hyper as usual and gobbles it up. When we go for a walk she is active as usual and jumps around at the cats outside the door. I had her heartworms tested a few weeks ago and she is clear of them so I know it isn't that. She is current on heartguard and has been for the nearly 2 yrs since we got her from the pound. Hmmm....anything else? I can't afford all kind of tests and the vet said that if I bring her in, this is what they will have to do. As I said, I have given her the same food since forever....Petco Avoderm dog food. I believe it was the lamb meal and brown rice flavor but I think we have also used brown rice, oatmeal and chicken meal flavor as well.
[notify]
Duke

THE GREAT WHITE- HYPE!

Barked: Tue Oct 6, '09 9:43am PST 
That yellow foamy stuff means there's too much acid in her stomach. My Saint Bernard, Duchess gets this pretty frequently. It turns out that she has (don't laugh) acid reflux. The vet recommended giving her 1 tablet (20mg) of Pepcid AC or Prilosec every morning. It still happens from time to time, but not as frequently. He also suggested to get her to eat at night as she is most prone to vomiting in the morning. The problem is that Duchess is a very finicky eater and will only eat when she feels like it. I usually know when her stomach is acting up; it starts to make noises, she doesn't eat and barely drinks for about a day and then she vomits yellow mucous. After she does this, she will resume her normal eating and drinking. Sometimes when it is extremely hot outside, she will also do this. My friend, who also has a Saint, does this as well. You should ask your vet about this. BTW, Duchess also has quite a bit of food allergies and is on a strict diet. The vet recommended Nature's Recipe Vegetarian Formula. We give her the dry food but it also comes in a can. I hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted.
[notify]
Abby

"Our Great- Japanese" says 6- yr old dd

Barked: Tue Oct 6, '09 1:56pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking she might be tired of the avoderm food and after researching for a while this morning, I drove across town and bought her NV's Instinct Turkey/Duck dog food since it is grain free. I also purchased a bag of the NV Instinct Rabbit. I mixed 1/3 of the turkey/duck to 2/3 avoderm hoping she would eat it and she just turned her nose up at it. I don't know what to do now. I cant afford expensive testing and yet can't buy food after food either. On another note, I have heard her stomach rumble and make noises, similar to a burp especially on the days that she throws up. Any ideas now?
[notify]