GO!

Pyr potty training

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jack, CGC

It's hot out- here, can we go- inside?

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '07 6:37am PST 
Jack is our first Pyr, we have a Swissy who we now realize was apparently very easy to potty train in comparison. Jack just doesn't seem to get it so far. We take him outside about every 30 minutes and every time he wakes up, eats, drinks, plays, or does just about anything else! However he will pee and poop anywhere he feels like. Even on the dog bed that he loves to sleep on, which I thought was against all good doggie instincts! The only place he holds it, is in his crate. Any Pyr specific stories/tips that relate to potty training? We know he's just a baby and we need to have patience, but a little bit of forward progress would sure make us feel better!

We are trying the bell training and he has rung the bell a few times, but usually he doesn't even wander over by the door when he has to go, so the bell doesn't occur to him. He just stops wherever he is (he doesn't return to the same spots or anything), squats, pees and/or poops, and goes right back to playing or whatever he was doing! HELP!
[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been...

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '07 9:55pm PST 
The only one of my Pyrs I had trouble housebreaking was Sheba but she came to us at almost 6 months & had been a house dog & they didn't bother training her...So, she had a bad learned behavior of going in the house that I had to correct.
This is what I would do...You say you let him out every 30 mins & that is good but he may not be associating not going in the house with going outside...When your pup isn't in his crate (which you are lucky he does well in!) you need to keep him leashed to you at all times...When you think he needs to go take him outside on leash so he can't take off to play & investigate...Walk him around & if he goes have a "puppy party"..Make a BIG deal out of it!...In a vey happy voice, "GOOD BOY! POTTY OUTSIDE!" (or whatever words you want him to equate proper elimination with)...Don't forget to give treats too!...If while inside he acts like he is going to "go" or starts to scold him immediately, & tell him "potty outside"...even if he has already gone...take him outside while reiterating "potty outside!"...If he does go..again...the "puppy party" using the "potty words"...Eventually he will equate pottying outside with really good stuff & also understand the "potty words"...It can be a pita to have to keep him on leash in the house all the time & take him out on it too but I assure you it is a means to an end & a wonderfully house broke dog!!...Sam came out of a barn at 13 & 1/2 weeks & had 5 accidents total ever...Pippin was in a pasture with goats until 5 months...was brought inside only 5 days before we got him & he had only one accident ever & it was our fault as he was left off of the leash wish nobody minding him...Both Sam & Pippin can go more hours than I can believe without even acting like they need to go out...Sheba has to go out more often than they do but still I don't need to worry about her...If we have an accident here I know they aren't feeling well.
& oh...also, Samson never went to the door to go out...pawed at it..that kind of thing...He just gives me a look that says "are you that stupid?...now would be nice"...lol!...Your pup may let you know in a way you wouldn't look for....Good luck!
[notify]
Jack, CGC

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '07 5:54am PST 
Thanks a bunch for your tips. I think we've been letting our other dog, Greta, "puppysit" a little too much. When she was a puppy she was like Velcro so even though she wasn't tethered to us with her leash she was ALWAYS right by us so we could watch her and watch for those telltale signs that she needed to go out. Hers were a little more obvious then Jack's signs. He just stops mid-run and pees, whereas she would circle around or sniff the floor first so you could rush her outside before she did anything. So we did start keeping him on a leash inside as of this morning. My husband was less than thrilled about trying to make breakfast with a puppy tied to him, but he'll be very happy if it means he doesn't have to clean up any puddles. I'll keep you posted on our progress, thanks again for the help!
[notify]

Samson

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '07 8:19am PST 
Yw!...& I hope it works for you!
I understand letting the other dogs puppysit...lol!...I tried to get Sam & Pippin to train Sheba too...They didn't do a good job...lol!
Yes, let me know!
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '07 5:58pm PST 
I am wondering how Jack is doing?..Any luck with your handsome little guy?big grin
[notify]
Jack, CGC

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '07 5:55am PST 
Thanks for asking. Jack is doing ok, we've been keeping him tethered to us on a leash in the house at most times, but if he's not, he will still just stop playing and pee right where he is and go right back to playing. It's not because he cant' hold it because he goes about 6 hours at night and is fine in his crate during the day. I just think he doesn't care! Too busy playing to take time to go outside apparently! Hopefully if we just keep up the routine he'll get the hang of it eventually. Besides the potty training though, he is a GREAT pup. Very sweet and VERY mellow.
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '07 12:58pm PST 
Glad to hear that Jack is doing better!...He'll get it!
Samson & Pippin are wonderful!...I swear they NEVER have to go...lol!
I have to kick Samson out of the house sometimes because I can't imagine he doesn't have to go...I swear I think I could let that dog out twice a day & he'd have no problem with it!...Pippin is about the same...Sheba...well...lol...We still have an occasional night time accident but it's been a few months now...Knock on wood!
[notify]
Sebastian

If it fits in my- mouth, it's- going down!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 3:46pm PST 
I understand. Bastian is 6 months old and we are still working on it. He is finally crate trained, but that was torture. However, he walks his crate around the house like a giant hamster ball. When we blocked him in then he just opened the door like it was no big deal. It is insane. He is only in his crate at night, or when its raining and we are at work. But I am so with you. I dont know how old your pyr is, but I've had Bastian since he was six weeks. He is just now catching on. He still cannot be left unsupervised in the house.
[notify]
Baba

I'm going to get- ya

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 12:04pm PST 
How's Jack doing now?
I was lucky with my boys as they got it in one week even after being outside boys for almost a year.
[notify]
Bryn

I am a lap dog.

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '07 9:14pm PST 
It seemed like it took Bryn an eternity to "get it", but he finally did at about 10 mos. I was at my wits' end because I'd never had a puppy take so much work or time to potty train. But he DID get it, and no problems whatsoever after that.

Now, getting him to stop stealing socks, important papers, pulling me by the shirt sleeve, and walking Bree with her leash inbetween 11:00 p.m., 2:00 a.m., and 5:00 a.m. patrol sessions around our house we'll be in business!dog

Bryn's mom
[notify]