GO!

Where did my black nose go?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dusty

Tennis- Ball- Guru

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 11:01pm PST 
I was just wondering if any of you have lost your black nose like me and my brother Copper. Does anyone know why it changes? shrug
[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 6:18pm PST 
My dogs nose has done the same thing, but I don't know why. I will have to check it out.
[notify]
Lady Abigail- Rose

"THE DOMESTIC- GODDESS"

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 8:27pm PST 
shrug you know mommy was wondering about that too. she thought it was because i was digging!!shh
[notify]

Rudy

Rudy sin- barreras

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 10:21pm PST 
My first golden's nose turned pink in the winter. I do believe I read something about "winter nose" but not sure if it was tried and true. Part of it is probably genetic as well. Do some googling on the subject, I found a whole variety of answers so I would also ask your vet.

by the way, I saw Dusty's video and it is EXACTLY how Rudy acts. I even showed my mom and she said that they could be the same dog. Too cute dog
[notify]
Dusty

Tennis- Ball- Guru

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 7:36pm PST 
I saw your page Rudy. We look alot alike and we both love tennis balls! Mom bought my dad a thing called chuck it, or something like that, where he can pick the ball up with it and throw it. Half the fun was hearing them fuss about all the slobber!
[notify]
MILLIE

MILLIE-EXUBERANC- E WITH- INTELLEGENCE

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '07 8:28pm PST 
Millie's nose turns pink in the winter too. As soon as the warm weather comes it goes back to black.
[notify]
Eden

Golden Goofball

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '07 8:36pm PST 
Hi! the pink nose does have something to do with the change in weather... but its something that runs in the family as well. my cousin gibson has a pink nose for most of the year, his dad geary has a pinkish nose all the time.. mom works with dogs, mostly goldens, every day and she said, from what she sees, its more common in boys. nothing to be concerned about but its against breed standards!
[notify]
Bronze

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 3:01pm PST 
I've asked my vet, and although their is a technical term for this, I was told that Bronze losing the pigment in her nose during the fall/winter was normal. During the summer months, Bronze keeps a black nose.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '07 2:33pm PST 
There are many reasons why a dog's nose can change color. Some dogs get a color change during the winter, and it returns to black in the summer. They call this "snow nose".

Other causes for losing pigment in the nose can be:

- The dog having poor pigment to begin with which fades over time, as they get older (usually the dog will not have pitch-black pigment to begin with.)

-Feeding from plastic bowls can sometimes cause pigment loss, switching to ceramic or stainless steel may reverse it.

-Vitiligo, a pigment disorder which causes white/light-colored patches, can cause the nose to turn lighter.

-Hypothyroidism can sometimes cause loss of pigment and nose color change.

Ginger's nose started changing color one year in the summer, it used to be PITCH black and it slowly changed to a sort of reddish-pink/brown color. I changed her to stainless steel bowls, added kelp to her diet (can sometimes help) and it kept changing until it was all that color. Ginger's vet said it could have been caused by some sort of infection. Her nose never changed back, and it now matches her fur color. shrug
[notify]
Teddy

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '07 10:08am PST 
My Teddy was born with black nose, and in the fisrt winter he turn pink, then in the summer truned black again, but in the next winter it become again pink and stay that way. No metter what weather is, his nose i now pink. Actually most of the nose is black and has a pink spot in the center of it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2