GO!

It's Tank again. :(

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 5:10pm PST 
Hello to all our dogster pals. smile It has been a while since we've popped into the forums. We are still on pmail, but the new dogster is just so technically confusing for Mommy that accessing the forums has been pretty impossible. However, we did make a special effort today because Mommy's furry friend Tank from pet's mart needs POTP again. frown On Tuesday night he got attacked by an aggressive rottie at the dog park. Tank got bit on the top of the head pretty bad. The rottie was muzzled, then as soon as he arrived at the dog park, the owner unmuzzled him. Tank has healed up pretty nicely, but he is now a bit grumbly with other dogs. frown Who can blame him though. It was total irresponsibility on the rottie owner's part. frown Please St. Francis and bridge angels watch over Mommy's best buddy. He has been through so much these last couple of months. Even though he doesn't live here, Mommy still considers him her baby. smile

We hope all our pals are healthy and happy.

Thanks and much woof

Yosh and Mommy Victoria xxx
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 1:21am PST 
pop pop pophug
[notify]
Bristol

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 8:24am PST 
Sending positive and healing energy Tanks way! Hope he feels better soon!
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 8:41am PST 
hughughughughughughughug For Tank. wishes on a speedy recovery.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 11:43am PST 
Thanks pups. smile Mommy did get to feel Tank's owy yesterday, and it doesn't feel that bad. Therefore, we're sure he'll feel fine in no time. However, he has probably come out of this forever emotionally and psychologically scathed. The poor baby is bound to become dog aggressive one of these days. Does anypup have any idea how Mommy and Alex can resocialize him with other dogs, or is there even any point?
[notify]
Sara

Live life to the- fullest

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 10:38pm PST 
Start him out with a small, submissive dog (small being his size or smaller); watch them carefully and don't let the other dog crowd into his space. Sometimes a dog that shows no interest in him starts to settle things down. Once he's ok with the first dog, gradually introduce him to other laid back, carefully chosen dogs. Try to never let him around big dogs again unless they're really a laid back breed like a older lab or golden (some dog parks are now separating areas into big and small dog areas). My niece's 10 pound dog was grabbed by the back and shaken hard like a rabbit by a bigger dog; luckily she got to him and rescued him, and he was sore and scared, but no broken back or bites. He still sometimes is scared if he sees a bigger dog he doesn't feel safe with. I think that's just a smart survivor response. My Sara is about 55 pounds, but I still am very protective of her with aggressive and bigger dogs as Sara is a very submissive non fighter. One neighbor's dog has been getting through an electric fence, and I got a prod that will give a pretty good shock (tried it on myself, not pleasant). One go at Sara, one shock by me, and the dog totally leaves her (and me) alone. Didn't do him any permanent damage, and he absolutely will have nothing to do with Sara. He still goes after other people's dogs while they're on leash, but won't come near us.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 2:46pm PST 
Oh my, am I ever late in getting back to this. My friend has a calm submissive female maltese that she's gonna try resocializing Tank with. Not sure whether she's done it yet. As for not letting him around big dogs again, I'm not sure how that'll be possible since Alex is a trainer at pet's mart. Tank is a malinois BTW. I guess the solution to the big dog thing is don't bring him to pet's mart again? confused
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 10:44am PST 
I should also add that Tank has never had issues of any sort before the dog park incident. Will it make resocializing a bit easier?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 2:23am PST 
How easily he bounces back will depend a lot on his temperament. Some dogs can shake an experience like that off easily and others never fully recover. Many dogs fall somewhere in between and just need some work. Hard to say what would be best for him without knowing exactly how he reacts to other dogs now.

I wouldn't take him to the dog park again. If the environment in the PetSmart is a controlled one (ie dogs aren't running around interacting with each other) and he can just observe others dogs in peace, that might be feasible.

You might want to post this question, with more details about the dog's behavior toward other dogs, in the Behavior & Training forum.
[notify]