GO!

Back surgery for slipped prolapsed disc

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 5:59pm PST 
AWESOME!!!! snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy

ARRRROOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!

snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy

Keep it up! I'm so proud of ya Bosley! applause
[notify]
Bosley

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 8:39pm PST 
Thanks Scooter.

I knew something was different today. Bosley seemed more alert and playful. I couldn't believe it. He took about 6 steps. Things are looking up.

snoopy
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 7:42am PST 
Every step counts...if you don't mind, just keep us updated from time to time and if you have any questions, we are here for you way to go
[notify]

Summer

It's not a walk,- it's a- sniffathon!!

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 4:32am PST 
Hi All!!!
I haven't checked in here, I've been away.

Glad to see some progress for Bosley!! WOW!! I'll bet he made you very happy to see him taking a few steps. That's great.

Keep us posted, I'm anxious to hear how he is doing after the weekend!

We are moving in about 2-3 weeks, to a house we just built. I can NOT wait because it will mean a lot less steps getting in and out of the house, and so less worry for Summer's back. Right now, between the deck and the doorway, there are about 10 steps to get in and out. In the new house, only 2 steps, that's it. I never realized how difficult stairs were until my girls became older!!!

Let us know how Bosley is doing. I am hoping he is walking more and more each day!

Hi Scooter!

wave
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 5:14am PST 
Hey Summer! wavewavewave I hear ya...my mom lives in a townhouse that requires stairs to get up to the living room and more stairs to get up to the bedroom. She wants a house and one of her requirements already is less stairs...guess they love us huh? flowerswink Hope you are feeling better too! blue dog
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 5:17am PST 
any updates you cutie patootie! blue dog
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 9:23am PST 
I have been following this post as we now know our little 6 yr. old shih tzu probably has a herniated disc. We just had the 2nd vet tell us his right rear leg is affected-he doesn't want to put weight on it. The first vet found signs of anaplasmosis (from tick bite) in his blood so we were treating that and still walking him. He got worse and was overmedicated. Now that I have read your posts, if he doesn't improve we will go for a cat scan first oh yikes, I sure hope Bosley made out okay! By the way, Ace can still walk but he is reluctant.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 4:31pm PST 
A year ago, my then 5 year old Coton slipped two discs and I made the decision to have surgery. The emergency room vet suggested putting him down but the surgeon gave him a 30% chance of regaining use of his hind legs. He was in the hopsital for 2 1/2 weeks and it took several months for us to get acclimateed to the change. He is paralized from the waist down but he is thriving and he is very happy and loving. The vet told me he would be happy regardless of whether he could walk. It would come down to whether I wanted and could take care of him.

The first several months were hard not know what to do or what to expect, but he got stronger every week and I found new routines. Once someone told me about Belly bands, things improved greatly as they were a great help as he cannot totally control his bladder. Also, I now keep him in restricted to a small area while I am not at home.

Thank you for taking the chance on your dog. The love they give is still the same. My boy now scoots with great speed and it is adorable to see him. He still enjoys life, playing fetch, and loves his family.

I believe stairs may have been a contributing factor. I have 11 stepes to get into my home and I've since heard that puppies should not do stairs while developing during their first year. Also, I believe I gave him too much space during the first year (he had full run of the entire house and I found out a neighbor was standing under the window teasing him several months before he became paraized. I believe the excitment of being teased and getting worked up contributed. He had back problems twice before the surgery and both times the vets gave him inflamatory meds but never counseled me on protecting him to ensure nothing worse happened. The evening I took him to the emergency room he was shaking and scared but this time he could not move. I would never have imagined anything so serious could result.

I am so glad you gave your Coton a chance. It does get easier and they get stronger each week. I have no regrets. He is a joy each day and still the boy I'd wanted for so long.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 4:31pm PST 
A year ago, my then 5 year old Coton slipped two discs and I made the decision to have surgery. The emergency room vet suggested putting him down but the surgeon gave him a 30% chance of regaining use of his hind legs. He was in the hopsital for 2 1/2 weeks and it took several months for us to get acclimateed to the change. He is paralized from the waist down but he is thriving and he is very happy and loving. The vet told me he would be happy regardless of whether he could walk. It would come down to whether I wanted and could take care of him.

The first several months were hard not know what to do or what to expect, but he got stronger every week and I found new routines. Once someone told me about Belly bands, things improved greatly as they were a great help as he cannot totally control his bladder. Also, I now keep him in restricted to a small area while I am not at home.

Thank you for taking the chance on your dog. The love they give is still the same. My boy now scoots with great speed and it is adorable to see him. He still enjoys life, playing fetch, and loves his family.

I believe stairs may have been a contributing factor. I have 11 stepes to get into my home and I've since heard that puppies should not do stairs while developing during their first year. Also, I believe I gave him too much space during the first year (he had full run of the entire house and I found out a neighbor was standing under the window teasing him several months before he became paraized. I believe the excitment of being teased and getting worked up contributed. He had back problems twice before the surgery and both times the vets gave him inflamatory meds but never counseled me on protecting him to ensure nothing worse happened. The evening I took him to the emergency room he was shaking and scared but this time he could not move. I would never have imagined anything so serious could result.

I am so glad you gave your Coton a chance. It does get easier and they get stronger each week. I have no regrets. He is a joy each day and still the boy I'd wanted for so long.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Nov 11, '13 4:00am PST 
bump
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5