GO!

Back surgery for slipped prolapsed disc

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Summer

It's not a walk,- it's a- sniffathon!!

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 12:29pm PST 
Thanks Scooter!!!
We went in because she seemed "off" and not wanting to do stairs or jump up at all. They did an x-ray, and said it was "unremarkable" and then told me the exact same thing you just said. That you often can not see herniations or disc bulges on x-ray. So, we are resting her and hoping she improves. So far, no improvement. I am think of getting the myelogram done, just to know exactly what we are dealing with. Do you know, by chane, an estimate of what it would cost?

Have we heard from Bosley today? I am hoping and praying he is improved and doing better.
[notify]
Bosley

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '11 8:30am PST 
Hi everyone and thank you for your feedback. I went to see Bosley yesterday and he was completely unimpressed. I think he was mad at me. He wouldn't even look at me or wag his tail. I was happy with how he looked, I expected much worse. The vet was hoping for a better response to my visit. I must say, it was a bit embarrassing that Bosley was so aloof.

Before my visit, the vet called to let me know that he does have movement in his back legs which is progress. We let him outside and he stands, but only because his hind quarters are so rigid. When he tries to walk, the top of his back paws drag across the ground. It is very sad to see. As he was standing outside, he made a poop. The vet and I were both pleasantly surprised. After that, he peed and the vet was thrilled. Clearly he has control of his bowels and bladder.

The vet called again this morning and said there was no change, good or bad but at this point the progress is expected to be very slow. He will be coming home on Tuesday. I am looking so forward to it.
[notify]
Bosley

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '11 12:29pm PST 
Hi Summer,

An x-ray is not helpful when trying to diagnose a herniated or slipped disc. It is however done before surgery to count vertebrae. I live in Toronto and had the surgery done at a pretty pricey hospital but I know the care is top notch. A CT scan was the only test Bosley needed to determine he had a slipped prolapsed disc. The price of a CT scan was $601.95. If that did not show what they needed to see then he would have had a myelogram which costs $488.20. If they still didn't see the problem than a MRI would have needed to be done and that test runs around $1500.

If you need to be tested further, make sure you have a CT scan before a MRI. It is cheaper and usually the only test that needs to be done.

Feel better soon.
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '11 2:14pm PST 
Hey Bosley...we are pulling for ya...I have been thinking of you a lot. Some movement is very positive. It sounds like your doctor is optimistic that you will continue improving. way to go

Summer, I think Bosley is right...I wonder if a cat scan would work. I say that because I recently got a twinge in my back and I went back to see my doctor just to make sure I didn't hurt my back and he mentioned a cat scan. Myleograms are expensive...I want to say over $1000? MRIs are more.

CT scans would be cheaper...I am not sure how they are...I want to say my vet said with a referral it would be around $400 or $500?

Summer, are you getting complete cage rest? meaning you are not walking stairs, running, jumping on furniture? Crate/cage rest SUCKS because our humans feel so bad for us...BUT it can really show improvement because it's REST. Only time you come out is to go to the bathroom or eat. Mom restricted me to the living room and wouldn't let me up on furniture...if she left the room, I went in the crate. Also, did they give you any anti inflammatory medicine?
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 4:49am PST 
Hey there....how's Bosley doing today? hug
[notify]
Bosley

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 12:22pm PST 
Hello everyone,

I just brought Bosley home an hour ago. He is resting comfortably beside me. I have been given physio exercises to do 6 times a day. I feel a little overwhelmed and anxious when handling him. When I handle him in a way that makes him uncomfortable, he gives me the smallest little love bite.......more like a nibble to let me know.

I took him out for a pee when we got home and we both got peed on.........lol. It is going to be a long road but I look forward to a full recovery.

F.Y.I according to my bill, the tests are priced as follows (Toronto)

CT Scan $601.95

Myelogram $488.20 (there is a small risk when this procedure is being done). Bosley did not need this as the CT Scan showed what they needed to see.

MRI $1500.00 approx. He didn't need this either.

Thanks Scooter for the good wishes. I will keep you posted on Bosley's progress.
[notify]
Bosley

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 12:24pm PST 
The CT Scan was $601.95 and the CT interpretation was $164.80
[notify]
Summer

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 4:11pm PST 
I am so glad Bosley is home and doing a bit better. I'm sorry you got peed onred face.
He will do much better now that he is home with you, they always do. What are physio exercises? I'll have to look that one up.

Thanks so much to you and Scooter for your advice and help with Summer. She was never on complete "crate rest" and we were just told to carry her up or down stairs, and to not let her do too much. That's it. She is much better and it is getting harder for her to take it easy when she feels good and wants to run and play! Thanks for the prices. I think if this happens again, I am going to skip the x-ray and go right to the CT scan. I want to know what is going on, if anything. Telling me "I don't see anything, but let's assume it's her discs since she is a beagle" is not good enough for me. I want to know the extent of things, and see what I can do about it. But, for now, she is doing well.

Please keep us posted on Bosley, I hope he gets better quick! Is he on any pain meds?
[notify]
Bosley

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 5:05pm PST 
Hey Summer,

Bosley is on pain meds and another drug but I am not sure what. When I picked him up, I was given so much information that I missed what the other medication was for.

His hind quarters are very tight which means he will progress slower. He keeps his legs fully extended so I have to do exercises to looses his muscles.

Taking care of him is like having a new born baby. I was peed on this afternoon and thrown up on this evening. Oh my poor Bosley.

He hasn't had a bowel movement yet and I am not sure how that is going to happen. I am overwhelmed and concerned.

I am very happy to hear Summer is doing better but if it is a disc, crate rest is so important. I was told disc problems are prevalent in long back, short leg dogs.......so chances are, your vet is right.

Hold off a bit longer but if he doesn't improve, you should do a CT scan to confirm what is going on.

Looking back, Bosley displayed signs of pain over the last few months. He had 3-4 episodes where he was shaking excessively and panting. I thought it was anxiety since it would go away in 20 minutes or so. Had we determined his problem sooner, perhaps we could have prevented the need for back surgery.

Thanks so much for your comments and support.

Hope Summer feels better soon.
[notify]
Summer

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 5:24pm PST 
I know it must be overwhelming, but hang in there. He will get better each day. He knows you love him, and are doing the best that you can.

What is he eating? Maybe give him some pure canned pumpkin to help move things along, the extra fiber should help him "go".

Do you have to carry him in and out? Can he stand or walk on his own? I'm curious because I know nothing about the post-surgical care.

Keep smiling, and know it should be uphill from here!!!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5