GO!

Anybody else feel guilty?

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Keiko

Where are you- going? Can I- come?

Barked: Tue May 25, '10 11:34pm PST 
After a couple of surprise heat cycles (her previous owners told the rescue she'd already been spayed...apparently they didn't notice that she definitely wasn't!), Keiko finally got spayed today.

I can't really remember being around a post-surgery dog (the last dog we had from puppyhood was when I was a kid), and I'm just so surprised to see her so lethargic and out of it! I've been assured that this is normal, as is her upset stomach (I have a thread going in the Health Forum for advice just in case), but it's still so...worrisome.

It's weird, but I feel a little guilty about the whole thing. I mean, I know getting her spayed is the right thing, but I hate that she's so sick and it's my fault, really. She'll be better off, but...still. I'm, sure it doesn't help that I'm moving out on Friday and she's staying here (she's technically my parents' dog, though I've been taking care of her and their house for the past 6 months or so).

Anybody else feel a guilty putting your dog through necessary medical procedures? Or am I just crazy? laugh out loud
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed May 26, '10 4:45am PST 
hug Poor Keiko. Being spayed as an older pup seems to have made her feel down in the dumps.. hug

Seems to be the younger pups bounce back much faster.. Hope you feel better soon!!!

To answer your question.... I don't know if I feel 'guilt' per se, but definitely ... well, something! the last procedure one of the dogs had - emergency surgery for GDV/bloat - Lantis is still upset at me for. When he came back from the hospital he gave me a dirty look and was mad at me for a long time. As if it was my fault! confusedshrug
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Thu May 27, '10 9:15am PST 
After having a dog in the heat for the first time in all my years, I was elated to have Moira spayed.

I have never had a dog feel badly after a spay, so I haven't felt guilty about that. I guess the thing I felt guilty about is that inability to take them walking and not be able to explain to the dog why they are grounded. Oh, and with Moira, making her skip a meal the night before and the morning of surgery. She likes her food.

I'm sorry Kieko isn't going with you. That must have been a hard decision.
[notify]

Lylah

The harder I wag- the more friends- I have

Barked: Thu May 27, '10 9:48am PST 
I feel terrible just seeing one of the dogs getting their temperature taken. confused Lylah really hates when the vets do that. She'll sit on her butt for the rest of the visit. If she needs to move, she scoots across the floor, but that bum is NOT coming off the floor.

I think having to do things that I know are necessary, still bothers me because I can't explain it to the dog. When I think of it from their perspective, I would be confused, scared, and mostly just trying to figure out what the heck is going on! I hate to think this is what I put my babies through. frown
[notify]

Barked: Thu May 27, '10 3:13pm PST 
Honey it is not your fault. Don't feel bad. You did what you had to do. I'm sure she'll be fine. Have you talked to your parents about it?
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri May 28, '10 12:04pm PST 
Since I foster, I see a lot of dogs post-surgery. And yes, that helpless feeling is rough! However, I've noticed that the actual incision doesn't bother my dogs or fosters- it's the anesthesia and the after-effects. Once that wears off they are back to their normal selves. Give her a few days and she'll come around!
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri May 28, '10 6:12pm PST 
I felt terribly guilty when i had Missy spayed. She had some complications during surgery and there was a worry about internal bleeding that resulted in me sitting up with her all night. She couldn't walk without falling over and just sat in her crate depressed and weak. You know, while i was doing it with best intentions at heart i just kept thinking "if she dies i will never forgive myself". Thankfully she was ok but i think my nerves will definitely be high if i ever spay another dog.
[notify]
Tia-Forever- Loved

Let's play!

Barked: Sat May 29, '10 3:56am PST 
We felt absolutely horrible for Tia when she got spayed. She was still just little and she cried so much at the vet's office that they kept giving her more painkillers. Her dad had to take her in because I just couldn't take her. When we went to pick her up, she heard my voice and literally screamed and when they brought her out she just threw herself at me. Then, when we got her home, she kept on trying to run away from the pain. The whole thing was heart breaking. I just kept telling myself that it was for the best, because there was no way that I could have given away her puppies, and we don't have enough room or the time for that many dogs.
[notify]
Katherine

Black Spots

Barked: Sun May 30, '10 5:23pm PST 
Guilty for spaying my dog!?! NO WAY! It makes me feel happy and proud that I'm keeping unwanted puppies off the streets and doing something good for the health of my dog! big grin
[notify]
Rocket

Rocket Dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 6:29pm PST 
I think its natural to feel worried/concerned about your dog when they aren't feeling well. I actually had more of a guilt attack leaving Rocket to be neutered than then actual procedure itself. The procedure was done at the shelter we got him from, and he had been returned to the shelter multiple times before we got him. When the shelter worker led him back to the room through the shelter his tail was between his legs as he was led away...I was worried he thought we were returning him. I was so upset that Rocket was upset I asked to go see him in the room they kept him and they let us...and he looked miserable in the cage they had him in. He wouldn't even wag his tail when we came back to say hi, just looked at us like "why aren't you getting me out?"

But when we came back to get him...he was still groggy...and when he heard our voice he dragged the shelter worker to us and practically fell up a small flight of stairs to get to us and collapsed in front of us, wagging his tail even though he was barely able to keep his eyes open. We didn't feel guilty after that, though I did feel bad he wasn't able to take walks.

She will get better. hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2