GO!

Why do so many dogs get cancer?

This is a special place for pups to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give the "Power of the Paw," and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasmine

unconditional- love

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 6:15pm PST 
I lost Jasmine almost a year ago due to thyroid cancer and she was only 8 yrs old. Sara has been fighting mast cell tumors for over 2 years and thankfully she is happy and currently in remission. I am constantly trying to figure out what I did to have two dogs with cancer. They are two different types of cancer so the vets say it is a fluke but I still think there is something else. What I fed them, any household chemicals, environment, vaccinations, etc. There are too many young dogs with cancer. Does anyone else wonder this? I am new to the site and really do not know where to post this. I think it would be a good idea to have a cancer forum to try to dig into some common ground that might shed some light on this any ideas?
[notify]
Roxy

Roxy the Miracle- Doxie

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 6:49pm PST 
I spoke with a friend today who lost two dogs in the last 6 months to cancer. My senior, Roxy, has lymphoma. In Roxy's case she had extensive dental work under anesthesia two months before her nodes became enlarged. I have wondered if the stress from the procedure compromised her immune system enough for the lymphoma to emerge. I mean, she may have had it but her own immune system was fighting it more effectively. I know the vaccine recommendations have changed, yet my vets still send me the annual reminder. I plan to discuss it with them. How about the newer flea control methods (advantage, etc.). I can't help but think that that poison could have long term consequences.
[notify]
Jasmine

unconditional- love

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 7:58pm PST 
Oh my sorry to hear about Roxy. Will say a prayer for herhug stress could be a part of it. Sara is a very stressed out dog in general and afraid of everything. Jasmine never was though
It is frustrating not to know. I worry a lot about vaccinations also and have read a lot on various web sites about not vaccinating a dog with cancer. Sara's inital flare up with mast cells happened a few weeks after vaccination. Surgery took care of that tumor then almost a year later after her next set of vaccinations she popped up with 4-5 mast cells. This time chemo was the only thing that saved her. I just had to get her vaccinated again, but I told my vet only rabies since it is the only one required by law. That will eliminate some of the chemicals in her body. I also used to topspot the dogs for fleas and always wondered if that could have been it, but I only used in the summer months not like every three months for their entire lives. Oh my vet gave me a new trial of advantage, might be the stuff you are talking about it is a topical solution applied just like top spot that prevents worms, heartworms, fleas and ticks. It is still sitting in the cabinent. Afraid to use it, just like ou said it sounds like poision. Ek!! I just don't know what is safe or not. So many people that I have talked to that had dogs that lived to be 16, 17 and even one that was 18 and still getting around pretty good all have told me they feed purinia and table food. I give mine small amounts of table food but have always feed eukanuba (sp) or science diet thinking they were better priemium foods. Guess I was wrong there. Now they are on Nutro.
[notify]

Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 8:16pm PST 
Cherry's cancer was a long term after affect from treating IMHA. We had to suppress her immune system for 6 months and the drugs lead to her bladder cancer 4 tears later. We knew it could lead to it, but were happy to have her for the additional years she had.

I think why dogs are diagnosed with cancer more is because people get better care for their pets and things are caught before the pups just pass away. If it wasn't for Cherry getting a UTI, we would have never known she was sick. Dogs tend to hide symptoms so if you are not looking for signs, you wouldn't see it until it is too late.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 8:19pm PST 
There is a group "Living with cancer"

http://www.dogster.com/group/Living_with_cancer-1591
[notify]
Duchess- 7/21/03-1/14- /12 Love U

Sleeping Beauty- needs her beauty- sleep!

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 9:16pm PST 
I'm with you, Jasmine. Duchess has a slow growing mass under her brain. We don't know if it is cancerous or not at this time because they cannot do a biopsy due to its location. However, the vets are 95% sure that it will become cancerous based on the little study and research that has been done on this particular type of tumor. She is only 3 yrs old (she will be 4 next month).

Naturally, I am so upset and heartbroken over this. Thankfully, she is undergoing radiation treatment at this time which will hopefully prevent it from growing any further. (Luckily, we caught it pretty early and it is approx only 2 cm big at this time.) Unfortunately though, this isn't a cure. Like you, I just feel so helpless and keep thinking that there is something more I could do or could've done to prevent all of this. But what? I have done everything that the vets tell me to do. She goes for her regular exams, gets her vaccinations, she takes supplements for her joints, I give her heartworm preventative medicine, etc... She also has food allergies so she is on a strict vegetarian diet which was recommended.

My co-worker keeps telling me that we need to get back to basics and feed our dogs regular human food or natural dog food without all the extra fillers and ingredients. She tells me that dogs lived longer and healthier lives back then before processed dog food came along. Not sure if that's the answer or not but I do know that I do everything the professionals tell me and my baby still somehow got sick anyway. I asked them if this was genetic and they told me that it was basically just "the luck of the draw". That's the scientific conclusion that they came up with! I just can't understand that with all the research and studies that have been done as well as all the money that has been raised for cancer research, why is there still no cure? Sorry to rant and rave about this, but it is extremely frustrating. You try so hard to do the right thing for your furbabies and then something like this happens. You don't know who or what to trust anymore. It is very scary and disturbing particularly now (not to get off the subject) with so many pet foods being contaminated. I don't think one day goes by without another pet food being recalled. I just don't understand what is happening anymore and why this problem can't be solved.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Duchess and Duke send blessings and love to ALL pups out there who are hurt or ill. You and your families are ALL in our thoughts and prayers.

hug
[notify]
Roxy

Roxy the Miracle- Doxie

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 9:47pm PST 
Cherry, I went to your page and I see that you are a celebrity this week. Congratulations. I think you have a point about people taking their dogs to the vet more. 20 years ago I would have been considered deranged for the way I care about my dogs. Not only do people take better of their dogs -- veterinary medicine has advanced along with people medicine. I do think that there are environmental factors involved too. I started preparing my dogs food just prior to the recall. I know that using fresh and balanced foods has a definite impact on health. Thank you for the living with cancer group info. I am definitely going to check it out.
[notify]
Squirrely- Verly- (Verlin)

Herr- Wachtmeister- Verlin

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 12:51am PST 
I've been wondering the same thing that why cats and dogs seem to get cancer. It seems to be domesticated animals rather than wild ones but i guess iwouldnt know for sure. I am sort of wondering if maybe it has to do with the commercial pet foods and such.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 7:21am PST 
Thanks Roxy, it is an honor to be Bridge Pup of the Week.

All have raised valid points, but until there is an actual cure for all cancers, it will be hard to say why it happens. Yes, diet and life style could impact it, but just as in humans, it has to be in the body chemistry too. How many people have you seen or heard of that are total health nuts and still get cancer and at the same time a 90 yr old smoking 3 packs a day and not having cancer?

It is something we wish they could find a cure for soon so no other furbaby or human has to suffer from it.

Wishing all of you still fighting all of the luck and love to help you through it! hug
[notify]
Reese- Abigayle

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 5:47pm PST 
i'm so sorry to hear about your dog... i know it won't ease the pain of what you're going through, buti recently read a disturbing but very enlightening book on pet food that seems to solve the mystery on why so many dogs die of cancer these days. basically, it is the food that we're feeding them, which unbeknownst to us, is absolute junk. after reading the book, it made a world of sense to me on why cancer in dogs was unheard in the past, but now seems to be so commonplace. check it out. the book is called FOOD PETS DIE FOR and it is written by ann martin. i've changed the way my dog eats since i read that book and i can't stress enough to everyone!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2