GO!

Diet help

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 1:45pm PST 
I have a GSP that is less than a year old and he is verry thin. I know that they are known to be skinny dogs but I am worried about his weight. I have dewormed him and i feed him at night so he cant burn it off right away. any sugestions?

*he eats 4 cups of food a day*
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 12, '13 9:42am PST 
They tend to be very thin dogs and it can be hard to put weight on them - especially for the first 3 years. I have had 5 of them. My current one is 3 and still very thin.

I recommend the following:
-Feed the dog at least twice a day. we feed the young adults twice a day plus one bedtime snack for the skinny ones. By feeding smaller meals more often you will also reduce the possibility of your dog developing a gastric torsion (bloat)
-4 cups of dog food is a somewhat meaningless measure. what brand and what quality of food? How many calories per cup? Adult dog food (kibble )ranges from 250- 500 calories per cup. A GSP needs a high calorie nutrition dense food though they don't tolerate high fat food as well as say a Lab so you need to choose carefully to get a lot of calories and not too high a fat percentage. Cheaper foods will bump the calories up with more fat so beware.
-kibble is not the best source of nutrition for a very active GSP. if you want to feed kibble for your convenience, please supplement it with fresh people food or scraps, a high quality canned food, or a can of sardines. Fish oil supplements are also great.
-digestive enzymes can also help your dog extract the max calories and nutrition from his food . Also plain yogurt , kefir, or cottage cheese which add easily digestible calories and some good flora to his gut
- try adding a cup of water to his meal for each 2 cup of food. Imagine eating dried camping food or crackers or dry cereal . Much easier to digest if you mix a lot of liquid in.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 11, '14 10:59am PST 
Thank you so much for the info. My gsp just turned 1 year and I have the same problem. I understand animal nutrition very much and feed my girl a very high kilocalorie diet and constantly deworm her but still can't get weight on her. I am afraid people are going to make rude comments about her being so skinny. I own weimaraners as well and have never had weight issues with them. It was my understanding when I researched the gsp breed before we got little stella that they are very similar to a weim only a little smaller but my Stella is half their size and she is a pure bred registered with the akc. But I am pleased to hear your comments. I thought I was the only person with this issue!!
[notify]