GO!

Allergy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ralph

Barked: Sat Mar 20, '10 3:19pm PST 
Hi I wondered if any of you guys could help me. Ive got a 6 months old German Shorthaired pointer and he has been suffering from red blotchy ears with patches of spotty bits. He has also had a build up of wax in the ear canals. We took him to the vets and they seem to think he has an allergy to something. We have changed his food to hypo-allergenic and it doesnt seem to have made a difference. The vet said skin allergies were common in pointer because of their liver and white markings. We just cant seem to put our finger on what the cause is. I need help! Thanks.
[notify]
Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Thu Mar 25, '10 12:32pm PST 
My late GSP, Bailey, had horrible allergies when she got older. I used to bathe her once a week with a gentle, soap-free shampoo, cleaned her ears once a week, and fed her a limited ingredient food (California Natural). We would also rinse her feet off if she were outside in the grass a lot. That kept her somewhat comfortable, but eventually we did start allergy shots because it was very hard to keep her away from the things she was allergic to (dust, trees, grass, pollen, etc.).

What type of food are you eating now? A limited ingredient food should help if it is a food allergy. I've had success with California Natural and Natural Balance. Also, you may want to add some fish oil to his diet, which will help with dry skin and itching.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon May 10, '10 11:23pm PST 
we feed Crash a RAW diet. Seems to be just great for skin, coat and eyes! Every RAW feeder swears by it.
[notify]