GO!

key differences between shepherds and huskies?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cyrus and- Maya

Trouble and- Wiggles, Esq.

Barked: Wed Nov 3, '10 11:11pm PST 
Both of my dogs are husky x shepherd mixes (to the best of our guessing ability anyways).

Cyrus has always been very husky-ish in temperament and looks; very independent, a bit of a houdini, aloof, mouthy player, a bit of a talker, and overly confident with a great sense of humour and play.

Maya certainly *looks* to be more on the GSD side of things, rather than the husky side.

What are some common puppy training issues that I should watch for in the event that her temperament is more GSD? I know that Cyrus put us through the typical husky puppy hell, but I'm not sure what's considered typical for a GSD puppy.

Thanks!wave
[notify]
Nikita

i want to go- outside!

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 4:46pm PST 
Well, I have one of each.

My Siberian Husky is a female and just turned 2 and my GSD is 1 1/2 and a male. Both are purebred, but I only have papers on the GSD.

In a lot of ways they are alike, nature or nuture from living together, I'm not sure. They both play very rough, make lots of funny noises and are very, very stubborn. Both are intelligent. The husky is a lot more intelligent, but less willing to do something unless it benefits her. Both are pretty obedient for their age. Recall is definitely easier with the GSD. I am beginning to let him off lead since we have to for disc dogs, but I would never let the husky off lead which is too bad because she knows lots of tricks that would work for freestyle. Both shed like crazy.

The German Shepherd is more cuddly, has a greater drive (can't get enough frisbees, balls, laser lights, etc.), and barks a lot. He is a bit more fearful and wary of strangers. He is more even keeled with his moods, he always seems to be happy. He was a better behaved and easier to get along as a puppy than her, except he got into our people stuff more than she ever did.

The husky keeps herself cleaner, grooming like a cat and doesn't have a dog smell, prances around like she owns the place, is independent, yet needy, loves everyone (but us occasionally), whines a lot more, loves to run, loves to dig, doesn't bark, fears nothing, very confident, but kind of a drama queen.

The only thing I would concern myself with if Maya has more GSD tendencies than a husky ones would be that she could become fearful of things. She should be exposed to many different things as a puppy during that socialization period. I socialized both of them quite a bit. Unfortunately I don't know any children around here, so when my young niece and nephew came to visit, it freaked the GSD out. My husky thought they were great. Another thing he had no exposure to were stairs, the husky took them much better too.

They have both been the most entertaining dogs I've ever had. But also their high energy and drive keeps me exhausted at times. They get along great. I originally wanted a mix of the two, but couldn't find one. I got the husky and still wanted the GSD so I got him as a companion for her.

Sorry so long. Hope this helps with your questions. Let me know if you want to know anything else. From the talks I've had on forums and with people in dog classes, mine seem pretty typical of their breeds.
[notify]
Omen

zombie killer

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 7:27pm PST 
I can tell you as someone who has recently and currently dealing with it (5 month old gsd pup!)

socialize and introduce her to a lot of things. Its harder to deal with "OMG a bus driving downt he road im scared were gonna die!!!!!!!" at 15/20 pounds then at 50 and up lol

Im not sure how huskies are but shepherds are very mouthy. i've had to keep almost half my freezer full of frozen treats and toys for him during these teething months.

If she looks more shepherd it may be difficult, as i've found many people cross the street and deliberately avoid Omen when they see him, even though on walks and such he is nothing but a happy face, he doesnt even bark. So its been difficult getting him used to other dogs and people. THank goodness for friends with large dogs he can meet!
[notify]