GO!

sore elbows?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

bean (SASHA)

Superman had- Krypto (like me)

Barked: Sun Oct 12, '08 9:34pm PST 
Do any of you get sore elbows? I just noticed that Bean has been getting worn spots and a little redness on her elbows. She doesnt go out without me so I cant figure out how shes getting sore elbows.
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 3:12am PST 
Does she spend a lot of time lay on hard floors (tiles, wooden flooring etc)? Ive heard that dogs can get sore elbows from that. I know my cousins dog, Poppy (Trixies sister!) has hard, skin on both elbows where the fur has worn away. It looks cracked and sore sometimes. She is always lay on the wooden flooring in their house, or the tiles in the kitchen thinking
[notify]
Beau

It's great to be- in America!

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 3:48am PST 
Beau prefers the cement floor or wood floor to a more padded surface - it's cooler for him. I've noticed his elbows are getting bare of fur. It doesn't seem to bother him though.
[notify]

Dutch

Hey, Big Dog!

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 10:05am PST 
Sounds like she's just developing a callous because she's been laying on a hard surface. It's pretty common. Dutch had huge elbow callouses when we adopted her. Not so much any more because she loves to lay on the carpet.
[notify]
Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 11:02am PST 
I'm glad to read this post because I was beggining to worry about the same thing. Kaya also has spots on her elbows where the fur is warn away. I've been keeping and eye on the spots and occasionally clean them just to make sure they don't turn into sores. They don't seem to bother her though and she doesn't get antsy when I touch or clean the areas. She refuses to have any sort of bedding in her crate, she will tear it up. We even got her a soft blanket that didn't have any filling in it so she couldn't make it "snow" and I actually caught her pulling the blanket out of her crate before she went in. shrug
[notify]
Dutch

Hey, Big Dog!

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 2:07pm PST 
Dutch had enormous callouses on her elbows when I brought her home from the rescue kennel because she always lay down on concrete. Now that she is a creature of comfort, the calluses have almost completely gone away.
[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 8:18pm PST 
Cookie has callouses on her elbows. They used to be solid black, but in the past few months parts of them have become pink. But there's no sores there that I could find.
They don't seem to bother Cookie in the least.
[notify]
CH Snowy,- CGC, TDI,- HC, HIC

Born to be- wild!!

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 9:39pm PST 
I have seen some white shepherds with big callouses on their elbows - Snowy started developing them during the summer because she loves to lay on the concrete patio in the afternoon (cooler than the house sometimes. LOL)

Her breeder assured me that they were very common and they don't cause any pain or anything. I noticed some handlers would put chalk powder on the callouses to "camouflage" them during the conformation show.
[notify]