GO!

Bloat & Sorbitol concerns...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

w

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 3:15pm PST 
We were wondering...what do you GSD know about bloat and eating positions? Is the chance of bloat increased by eating from a bowl off the floor or from a bowl on a stand?

Also, is sorbitol safe or dangerous for dogs? I thought it was a suger of some sort??? I brush Kaine's teeth reguarly and saw that ingredient and for some reason, I thought it was bad...

Kaine & Ashley
[notify]
Sirius Black

Always there to- guide the way.

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 4:49pm PST 
Being an "A" type personality by trade (and profession), I asked my vet the Sorbitol question and he mentioned it's a matter of amount. Yes, you're right it's an artificial sweetener used often in sugar-free and diet food/drink products. He advised I never feed Sirius anything artificially sweetened since Sorbital can be toxic, but also mentioned if it is one of the last ingredients on an ingredients list, a small amount wouldn't necessarily hurt him (such as you mentioned with the toothpaste).

As far as bloat/ intestinal torsion is concerned, I know the cause is typically eating quickly large amounts of food or water (sometimes right after exercise). I've found conflicting information as to if bowl on the floor or elevated decreases the probability of this occurring. The only consistent thing I've found is to never feed 30 minutes before/after exercise and not to allow him to consume large amounts of water very quickly. The time seems to vary a little with some sites/vets recommending as long as 1 hour and others as little as 20 minutes, but 30 minutes seems to be the most common.

I'd love to know the answer to this if someone knows!
[notify]
Benjamin- Blackjack

It's All- Mine!!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 6:14pm PST 
I lost my shepherd "Trouble" to bloat. Trouble's bowl was on the floor and we fed him one large meal per day with snacks before and after. This was the trend on feeding many years ago. Now we feed Blackjack from an elevated bowl, easier digestion. We feed him three smaller meals per day with no exercise 30 min. before or after. After heavy exertion we wait an hour. We limit his water intake so he doesnt gulp alot after a meal. This seems to work. Blackjack does not have gas problems and only throws up if he has gotten into something he shouldn't. Air intake, fast eating, gulping water and heavy exertion seems to have a lot to do with bloat. Hope this helps.
[notify]

OttO

Lab in GSD- clothing!

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 7:49pm PST 
Oh man!!! I lost 2 GSD's to torsion/bloat withing 3 months of each other! this was a couple years before OttO. The first dog (montana) was 12 years old and had arthritis and was blind in one eye... I had no idea what was wrong with him, took him to the vet and they said it was too late and they "put him to sleep"
I went home and heaped lots of attention on my other GSD Rowan who was 8 years old and very healthy and active and totally in love with montana, within 3 months she started with the symptoms ... trying to throw up, pacing, panting acting all nervous I got her to the vet as soon as I realized that "yes this horrible thing can happen 2 times in your lifetime" and was told the same thing... very expensive surgery and no promise if she would survive and what shape she would be in after... this doctor told me (while I was in hysterics over losing a second dog to this) she thought that Rowan was just very distressed at losing Montana... (her love) and that stress can bring it on.
But after all this happened I realized that both episodes happened within 6 months of my new neighbors who moved in with their "wild fence fighter dogs" who tormented my "normally quiet and mellow" dogs thru the fence outside of the patio where I fed them. I went 2 years without a dog at all.. then I got a chihuahua, then after 3 months I broke down and got another GSD - OttO... I'm very careful with him and I feed him once a day at least 1 hour before or after any excitement or exercise... usually about 8 at night as the neighbors put there dog in the house around then...
My other dogs used to "nibble at their food" and took a couple hours to eat all the food in their bowls... It seems that everyone has different ideas about what causes this... My advice is to just keep them calm around their meal time. I elevate OttO's food don't let them drink alot of water after heavy exercise.. You can also get their stomachs stapled... I have thought about doing this to OttO..
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 4:15am PST 
The recommendations and studies on bloat change from year to year - thus V has a raised bowl, Rosie eats from the ground.

A few things that have stayed constant - don't exercise around feeding time, feed at least twice a day, no food or water gulping.
[notify]
King

King

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 5:06am PST 
I also worry about bloat and have read the same things as the other posters. One thing I have read that has not been mentioned so far is that some people believe that soaking the food in water before feeding can prevent bloat.

Since Maddie started her picky spell I have been soaking her food in warm chicken broth just so she will eat it. I notice that grain free kibble doesn't swell much. Which makes me wonder if grain free food is a possible way to avoid bloat.
[notify]
w

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 9:47am PST 
Thank you all for your wonderful responses. OttO, I am so sorry for your lossescry...

Sirius, I am still unsure about the toothpaste, becuse I was brushing Kaine's teeth everyday and Sorbitol is at the top of the list...Does anyone know any better dog toothpastesshrug

I was feedind Kaine from an elevated bowl, then when I read that article in the GSD magazine, I switched to feeding him off the floor. Now, I'm not really sure which height is best...I know that kibble expands in the stomach and that expanding can have a lot to do with bloat...so would eating homecooked be safer or do you think the same rules would apply (rest 30 min-1 hour before meal and after meal)? So, it must be the gulping of air and water which means bloat would have something to do with the esophagus right?

Man, as much as I know about German Shepherds and dogs in general, bloat can be so confusing and frightening.

Kaine & Ashley
[notify]
OttO

Lab in GSD- clothing!

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 12:45pm PST 
Best and safest thing would be to locate a vet who does the stomach stapling...and have him do it. way to go it can be expensive tho...
[notify]
Sirius Black

Always there to- guide the way.

Barked: Sat Jul 19, '08 10:31am PST 
I got concerned because I wasn't sure what was in Sirius' toothpaste--his first ingredient is a fancy name for sugar. eek

I purchased it from the vet and he told me they use this kind because it is enzymatic, and though sweetened, it isn't sweetened w/ artificial sweeteners... which conflicts what he told me last time about the ingredient thing (though when told this he stood by the statement, and added it should be avoided, but in small quantities it isn't going to harm the dog).

When expanding on the topic he told me that it is more of a guidance to keep people from feeding human food sweetened w/ artificial sweeteners since it would me in a larger quantity. thinking

After reading some of the posts, I think I'll probably try elevating Sirius' bowl too!
[notify]