GO!

Ideas for a picky eater?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Madalyn

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:18am PST 
Maddie has become really ridiculous with being picky about dry kibble.

I add a heaping teaspoon of wet food to her kibble and stir it around real good so every piece is covered with wet food but, it isn't enough to make her eat.

Maddie will pick up a mouthful of kibble and try to just eat the wet food and she will spit most of the kibble out on the floor. She walks away from her bowl and then goes back to it several times and she does walk by sniffings of the other dogs bowls too. They have the same thing she has and the same amount of wet food mixed in.

Wet food gives Maddie diarrhea. I add Prozyme to her food every meal along with the wet food to help with this. She ends up having soft serve poop that is difficult to pick up and it smears all over the poop scoop, rake and grass.

Nupro also gave Maddie the same poop problems because it's powder and you have to add a little warm water to make gravy. She got tired of Nupro after a while and stopped eating her food.

Maddie will eat Innova Evo kibble plain, but it makes her itch really bad.

Maddie has 0 body fat and she is already a skinny teenager and needs to fill out. Now that she has become so picky, she is losing muscle.

I thought taking Maddie on long walks every day would help her have a bigger appetite but there is no change.

Maddie is a terrible begger and a treat hound. We have all stopped letting her have any people food and I have cut all treats out except for when we are training and it has made no difference.

Any ideas on how to get my little Diva to eat?
[notify]
Dutch

Hey, Big Dog!

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:56am PST 
First thought, check her mouth and make sure there's nothing wrong with teeth, guns, roof of mouth, just to rule it out.

Is there a people food that she might like that's healthy, like cottage cheese, steamed veggies, brown rice, chicken stock, peanut butter, etc... If you add a little of that to her kibble, maybe that will spike her appetite. Or you can give her a little of what is leftover from dinner, but only when it's mixed in with her kibble and only at dinner.
[notify]
Effie- Bahnhof

I enjoy being a- girl (dog)

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:58am PST 
Not too much experience here...Trets had trouble eating, we left his food out and he would have breakfast at 2. That was the only thing that worked. He's had the problem intermittently but has never missed a meal since switching to Royal Canin. I know it sounds odd, but maybe it is a taste thing?

Taking away most treats was a good idea too.
[notify]

Madalyn

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 9:54am PST 
I will try a little bit of some sort of people food that is healthy for her.

She will snarf her bowl of kibble if I put a heaping tablespoon of wet food in it but it gives her cow patty poops confused The soft serve with just the teapoon of wet food is bad enough.

Maddie loves raw egg. I could whisk an egg and mix it in with her kibble a few times a week and see how that goes. I may try cottage cheese also.

Innova Evo was the only kibble she has ever snarfed and didn't need anything added to it. But she itched so bad while she was eating it, I don't want to feed it to her again frown
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 10:35am PST 
You can try storing jerky in your food bags - don't feed it, just let it make the kibble stinkier!
[notify]
Dutch

Hey, Big Dog!

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 11:24am PST 
Canned pumpkin?
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 11:47am PST 
ha...thats EXACTLY what arko does...exactly...he likes off the good stuff and leaves the "crap"

the only things that got him to eat kibble were:

canned tripe
sardines mixed with water and mashed into the kibble-soak a bit (or the same with salmon or jack makeral)

there are two kibble's he eats: Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and Timberwolf Organics Wilderness Elk and Salmon

thats all,...the othere's he'll take in his mouth politely, walk away a few steps and spit out...
[notify]
Dutch

Hey, Big Dog!

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 12:14pm PST 
big laugh big laugh big laugh Ptwey!
[notify]
Medea

Ekko~Forever in- our hearts

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 1:32pm PST 
My first thought was canned pumpkin, but anything that she could eat people wise may help. Can dogs have yogurt? Medea has developed quite the smell for my morning yogurt!

Vincent, the jerkey stored with the kibble is brilliant!!way to go
[notify]
Madalyn

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 1:58pm PST 
I think my Maddie girl is just spoiled rotten.

I have some bacon grease saved in the fridge for seasoning beans. Maybe a little of that will make her eat if the egg doesn't work.

I am probably going to run into problems with the other dogs when I give Maddie something different laugh out loud

Maddie throws up when she has a empty belly frown and she is still growing and skinny. I hate that she doesn't eat well frown
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13