GO!

Grace is panting and breathing fast..

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Grace Moriah

Im ONE year old- now!!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 1:16am PST 
I've noticed that Grace breathes fast often. Then tonight we crated her while we were home and she is next to me and she is panting so much and breathing hard while laying down. You think she had just ran a whole lot.

She is just a 5 month old pup we just found 2 weeks ago. She is recovering from Parvo ( just got over quarantine), and 2 parasites.

She is to young for heartworm isnt she?

uggggggg I just charged a 1,200. bill. I really cant afford another bill right now. I was going to start her on her shots this week.

Any advice?
[notify]
Rosie- *FOUND*

www.findrosie.co- m

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 4:06am PST 
Spmeone else is going to have to answer on the heartworm.

Stress maybe? She's not loving her crate yet. Rosie pants more if she's a bit scared too.
[notify]
Medea

Ekko~Forever in- our hearts

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 5:30am PST 
Medea does too! She pants really hard when she stressed out. Hopefully its just that!hug
[notify]

Kisses- 8/6/05-11/16- /11

Mom's Heartdog

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 8:53am PST 
Kisses has always seemed to pant really hard. Lets hope it's just stress, like Medea said!hug
[notify]
King

King

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 9:34am PST 
Maybe she is too warm. King and Maddie pant when it is 70 degrees in the house.

Maddie was born in January and I started her on Interceptor when she was 3 months old. The Vet said she was too young for the heartowrm test and she didn't need one anyway.

Snoopy tested light positive for heartworms and she didn't pant a lot. She is a short, single coat breed but has a winter coat from being outside in the cold.

I am new to this heartworm business but was told to watch for coughing and vomiting.

I hope everything is going to be ok hug
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 11:37am PST 
heartworm dogs are usually bery lethargic and WHEN they run they get tired very very quickly... thye also lose condition very fast....my first dog was heartworm positive and had to be PTS...we had moved from a no mosquito area to a heavy mosquito area and neither vet told us that the daily heartworm tablets werent going to be strong enough...20 years ago, mosquitos and heartworm werent such a big deal.....

but, grace, you do NOT sound like heartworms at all....for your mom to check, are your gums pale? if she presses them with her finger to they turn from white to color quickly? thats called capillary refill, if its fast, you're well hydrated and not really having blood problems, if its really really slow....eh...i'd get to the vet...

but basically, if you can run and play and not get super super tired very fast, i'd say no to heartworms...ALSO, (i didnt check where you live) its just too cold for mosquitos!
[notify]
Arko

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 11:37am PST 
heartworm dogs are usually bery lethargic and WHEN they run they get tired very very quickly... thye also lose condition very fast....my first dog was heartworm positive and had to be PTS...we had moved from a no mosquito area to a heavy mosquito area and neither vet told us that the daily heartworm tablets werent going to be strong enough...20 years ago, mosquitos and heartworm werent such a big deal.....

but, grace, you do NOT sound like heartworms at all....for your mom to check, are your gums pale? if she presses them with her finger to they turn from white to color quickly? thats called capillary refill, if its fast, you're well hydrated and not really having blood problems, if its really really slow....eh...i'd get to the vet...

but basically, if you can run and play and not get super super tired very fast, i'd say no to heartworms...ALSO, (i didnt check where you live) its just too cold for mosquitos!
[notify]
Arko

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 11:42am PST 
i dunno why that posted twice....sigh...

http://www.knowheartworms.org/incidencemap.asp

and is she coughing?
[notify]
Grace Moriah

Im ONE year old- now!!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 2:22pm PST 
Her gums are pink and change quick when pressed. We do deal with mosquitoes here tho not sure if we have them now. Its in the 30- 50's in temps (Calif). I have a lake in front of my house and deal with a lot of water. The River is behind us.

She has energy tho I know its not at its full level tho its building as she gets her strength back from being starved and the parvo.

I've noticed her breathing while she is sleeping and noticed it was fast also and not just in her kennel. Tho this morning while she was laying in the kitchen while I was in there it wasnt so fast so I guess its not always.

She did just get checked by the vet when she was there so I guess would have noticed if her heart sounded off. Im hoping to sign up for pet insurance and get her shots and another check up.
[notify]
Effie- Bahnhof

I enjoy being a- girl (dog)

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 5:42pm PST 
Poor girl, feel better soon.hug
Effie pants when nervous. Ask your vet and they will reassure you. Most likely it is nothing but it is best to be sure.

Trets had HW and did pant heavily, he had an episode where he almost passed out. The vet at the time just sent him home but it was related. However, he had the worms in him already. Moral of the story is ask questions & be persistent.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3