GO!

ASPCA Spay/Neuter

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:40am PST 
Hello,

I am bringing home my first Frenchie in the Spring and am thinking about my spay options. While money is not a concern of mine, some of my friends have argued that they got their dog spayed through the ASPCA truck that comes around charging a low fee for the spay and neuter of dogs. I am not looking to skimp on my girl's surgery, but if the ASPCA offers spay/neuter for a low rate, and do the surgeries often, are they more experienced? i would love some insight on research people have done and whether or not it is a good idea. Please let me know!
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 1:42pm PST 
This is purely speculation and opinion, but I would feel more comfortable letting my vet handle the procedure versus the ASPCA. I think the ASPCA is probably a great option for people who are low on funds. I have not researched them personally so I'm not saying anything bad about them. But I have a pug and have been researching frenchies pretty heavily for about a month now, and because of the respiratory/anesthesia issues in these types of breeds, I just wouldn't trust anyone other than my own personal vet to put my dog under. If I did go through the ASPCA, I would make sure they did all the pre-anesthetic testing and followed protocols that are recommended for brachycephalic dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 10:02am PST 
I have been through the same situation. I have and english and french bulldog and the ASPCA does the spay/nueter for 70.00 comparened to 200+. I acutally scheduled the appointment with them and then did more reseach. These brachiocephalic breeds cannot have ACE as the ansthesia. It causes death in these breeds alot of the time. I would really ask what the ansthesia they use is and how experienced they are and how they would handle emergecy situations. I know when I asked about mine, thye got really really defensive. They vet had no clue about the breed and ACE. Just do your reseach...
[notify]