GO!

Scratching

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Schmoop Dawg

Barked: Wed May 28, '08 9:44am PST 
A couple of weeks ago Schmoop started scratching, so I bathed him, but it hasn't helped much. I tried to do a search, but most people talk about allergies - scratching their ears and sneezing. We are starting to add Adult food in with his regular diet, I wonder if that is the problem. Any other suggestions?
[notify]
Hannibull- Barka

Obey the- Frenchie

Barked: Thu Jun 26, '08 5:35am PST 
If the scratching is excessive, I would consult a vet. Allergies can be contact, inhalant or food related and the symptoms can vary from watery eyes, to paw licking or biting, to scratching, ears, sides, chest wherever, and butt scooting. Allergies can be one of the most frustrating things to deal with since there can be so many sources. If you noticed the scratching coincided with a change in food, that is a starting point. Is there a new ingredient in the new food? Also keep in mind that dogs can beome allergic to something they have been around or been eating, over time.
My Frenchies can't have grains or they get itchy. They also experience some seasonal allergies when the pollen count is high which we deal with by rinsing (no rubbing and no shampoos) with cool water whenever they come in from outside. Good luck, I hope you pinpoint the problem because it is miserable to be itchy.
[notify]
Schmoop Dawg

Barked: Thu Jun 26, '08 8:11am PST 
Thanks! Since I've posted, we have taken him off canned food altogether and add either chicken or egg to his kibble, which we switched to a limited ingredient food. It's much better finally.
[notify]