GO!

Flying a Frenchie in the cabin?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Mia

Momma's Mia

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 1:19pm PST 
We just flew Northwest from Oklahoma. If you weigh less than 15 pounds, fly in an approved carrier and register before the trip, (includes a $80 fee) you can fly under the seat. My sister and I flew together in the same carrier and we had no problems. The airlines did not require a health certificate but check your destination state for any other rules they may have.
[notify]
Peanut

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 11:21am PST 
Yay! I'm so glad other Frenchie owners have been able to fly. I'm planning a trip from New York to Houston in November and found out last night Continental (and other) airlines absolutely don't allow French Bulldogs in their cargo area--Peanut's a big 30lb boy and I gave up on the idea of flying him in the cabin with me after reading and hearing all the airline's rules and regulations.

Have you all had any problems using the Sherpa bags since they aren't hard case carriers? I'm so nervous about bringing him on board with me, thinking they're going to turn us away when we get to the check in counter even if he fits underneath the seat in front of me.
[notify]
Peanut

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 11:30am PST 
Clementine, what other airlines have you flown? It seems like all the airlines have really strict guidelines, that are all very flexible... depending on the crankiness of a worker, whether the dogs are out of their carriers, etc.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback! It's great to be able to learn from you all.
[notify]

Chauncey

I like 2 play- hard eat fast &- sleep lots

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '08 10:09am PST 
Hello Peanut,

Have you called your airline in advance about traveling with your Frenchie? It is a necessary step- certain airlines have a limit on the # of dogs they will allow in the cabin. There ussually is an additional cabin charge as well.

Chauncey is very much looking forward to his trip in November- we'll be sure to share our experience with everyone on here.
[notify]
Peanut

Barked: Sat Jul 12, '08 8:21pm PST 
We've called the airline and spoken to several people in regards to all the rules and restrictions. At this point, I think we're buying a Sherpa bag to see how comfortable Peanut can ride in one before we make arrangements to bring him with us. There seems to be so many possible things that can happen when we bring him, we want to be certain that either way he'll be safe and comfortable.
[notify]
♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 7:29pm PST 
We've flown American, Delta, US Airways, America West, United, Jet Blue, and Alaska, as well as some charter flights to Mexico. Both Clementine and Hannibull are used to their bags and used to traveling and snooze the whole trip as well as settle in the bag fine in the airport so we've never had an issue other than the one on Jet Blue one time that I described earlier, which was about the size of the bag, not them. Oh and one time Hannibull was strip searched at Newark Airport but that's a whole other threadlaugh out loud
[notify]
♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 7:48pm PST 
I wanted to update everyone that the airlines have cranked up their prices on pets flying in-cabin- I just flew with my mom to San Francisco and my pet fee was more than her ticket- a lot more. United used to charge $75 each way to fly with a pet, this San Francisco trip was $125 each way and the new price from Oct. 2 forward is $175 each wayshock

Oh yeah and flying coach on United, the window seat had the most room underneath for the bag. Another tip for flying in the summer or anywhere where the temp is warm- board last.

Edited by author Thu Oct 2, '08 7:54pm PST

[notify]
Peanut

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 6:31pm PST 
Hi all. We just flew to Houston and back for Thanksgiving and it was a bit of a nightmare. We flew with Continental, which seems to be the only airline that allows dogs up to 25lbs. Peanut weighed in at 24.5 at the vet's before we went on our trip.

Are there Frenchies out there that are more than 20lbs. that haven't had trouble flying in cabin? All the airlines seem to have a < 20lb. limit--and though they didn't weigh him on either leg of this trip, I don't want to take my chances and get turned away when we get to the airport.
[notify]
Daffodil

Barked: Thu Dec 4, '08 9:30am PST 
Daff and I just booked a flight with Delta last night. New member... this is the ONLY place I was able to find any relevant fliying w/ a frenchie info.

Umm she's slightly over 20lbs and i know she can't stand upright with a inch clearing her head, but I'm hoping we can get from vegas to philly with minimal interactions...

What are all are the dimensions for your carriers?? Over the summer when she was around 8 months she got through delta in this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3153248 &keepsr=0"

this carrier which is 17" L x 11.5" D x 11 H and the lady on delta just told me their max for soft carriers, in-cabin are 18x12x12.

I may try to push it by an inch or two... she's getting a bit porky.

Edited by author Thu Dec 4, '08 9:35am PST

[notify]
Chauncey

I like 2 play- hard eat fast &- sleep lots

Barked: Thu Dec 4, '08 5:02pm PST 
Chauncey's cross country flight took place over Thanksgiving, and it was overall, a very smooth process. Here are some general observations that I made:

- We took Chauncey to a local doggie daycare the day before our red-eye flight. He was pooped, and ending up sleeping the entire 4.5 hour flight.

- None of the airports (LAX, ST. Louis, Dulles, Hartford) had any problem with Chauncey walking around the airport, out of his bag. It was nice not to have to extend his time confined in the bag, by allowing him more time around what must have been a very confusing place (airport) to him.

- The one layover that we had was in St. Louis. We had a 2 hour period between flights. Ample time for Chauncey and I to walk out of the airport, find a grassy area over by the parking decks, and allow him to do his business. We had to check through security to re-enter, but I think Chauncey appreciated the pit-stop.

- We didn't feed Chauncey the morning of our flight back. But that didn't stop Chauncey from somehow managing to find some food (our guess is that he got into another dog's food who was staying at our family get-together). This led to a bit of a gassy embarrassment for our one short flight. Nothing too awful, but Chauncey certainly let his prescence be known.

- We prepared Chauncey with a couple of long car trips in his Sherpa bag, and we left the bag out in the living room. By the time we were flying, he was very familiar and comfortable with the bag.

- We flew American Airlines. They honored our initial $80 each way rate (we made the reservation way back in March). They did inform us that they raised the rate to $100 per trip.

- The AA people never weighed Chauncey, nor did anyone ask to see his rabies papers. It was treated a regular process- no big deal at all.

- Chauncey never once barked or made a peep. He squirmed around a little bit at times, but this was more due to just trying to get comfortable more than anything else I suspect.

- Chauncey fit snuggly under the seat in front of me. I think he was comforted by having my feet right up against his bag- he made it a point to lay on them on each flight.

Please feel free to post any questions- I found this forum very helpful in preparing for Chauncey's trip, and I'd be happy to help others.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3