GO!

Flying a Frenchie in the cabin?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chauncey

I like 2 play- hard eat fast &- sleep lots

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 11:01am PST 
Anyone ever have any luck doing it? Stowing Chauncey in the luggage stow just isn't an option we're willing to take. We have a big trip to the east coast planned in November- what can we do to plan traveling with our little guy?
[notify]
Violet

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 7:08pm PST 
*bump*

im wondering about this to...
[notify]
♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '08 11:05am PST 
Me and Hannibull fly in the cabin all of the time with our people. Our mom wishes we earned frequent flyer miles. It's no big deal for us, we just nap the whole time. If you are used to a Sherpa bag, then you can travel no problem. We've been in our bags since we were pups but Mom has trained fosters to relax in Sherpas and they got to be good travelers too. Have your parents get the Large size Sherpa, no wheels (they take up valuable bag space), and leave it out unzipped with lots of treats hidden inside for you to find. If you are afraid or not using it to lay in, then they should feed your meals in there too, you know all the tricks they use to get us used to being in crates, after a while they should be able to zip you up in there without you being panicked. They should use it for short car rides, and then maybe some trips to the park or Petco, so that you associate getting in the bag with good things. I jump in any open bag anytime for a snooze- even if it isn't mine, that's how much I like them. As far as the flight, if you fly in the morning they should have you skip breakfast and let you use the bathroom once at the airport then put you in the bag and check in and keep you in there until you land at your destination. You should also find out what type of plane you will be flying on and try and get aisle seats or center aisle seats if it is a large jet with three sets of three seats, these have the most the room under the seat for the bag. Have fun on your trip!
[notify]

Chauncey

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '08 9:37pm PST 
Hi Clementine,

Thanks for your response- sounds like you are real world traveler! We have seen many of the web information regarding flying a dog stating that the weight limit is 15 pounds. Knowing that our Chauncey weighs in at a pretty standard frenchie 22 pounds, we were worried that they might deny us at the check-in counter. Is this is a valid concern, or a misconception, based on your experiences? Thanks again for your Sherpa recommendation- we really appreciate it!!!
[notify]
♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '08 9:09pm PST 
We've never been weighed or had any problems about being too large. I weigh 18 lbs and Hannibull is 21 lbs. and we're both built pretty low to the ground so most people guess we weigh less than we do. But we have some Frenchie friends who are the leggier type Frenchies who have had problems at the counter. We think it's because they checked in without being in the bag. If you get a cranky counterperson, and you walk up with your Frenchie out of the bag, they may make you deomnstrate that your dog fits in the bag and can stand and turn around, which is what happened to our friends. I suppose they could weigh the bag too.
We've flown lots of airlines and we fly about 5 times a year and we've never had a problem with one exception- one leg of a flight on JetBlue where the counterperson tried to say the bag was too big to fit under the seat. It was our return flight so we argued that it had fit getting there and they let us board. We've flown JetBlue since then with the same size Sherpa and not had a problem. Our favorite airline is American, we've always had flight crew who were animal lovers and let us put the bags on an empty seat if there was one available.
Just make sure you make a pet reservation as soon as you know your travel plans because most commercial flights only allow 2-4 pets per flight to fly in cabin and the spaces fill up fast.

Edited by author Mon Feb 25, '08 9:11pm PST

[notify]
Sherman- Desmond

Wanna play?

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 11:50am PST 
The people at the airport did not give my mom and dad any trouble about my weight last fall. I was not even weighed and I tip the scales at about 25 pounds. They only looked at my fit to fly certificate from my doctor. I did the coast to coast trip. It was not too bad. California was a blast!
[notify]
Chauncey

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 2:38pm PST 
Wow- this is wonderful news!!! We are going to the pet store and buying a Sherpa bag tonight! If anyone else has any Frenchie flying stories and tips to share, we'd be interested to see them. Thanks to Clementine and Sherman Desmond for your helpful responses!
[notify]
Hugo

Barked: Wed May 21, '08 8:23am PST 
Hi! Just wondering how your flight went... I'm a potential flyer and we need all the tips we can get! smile
[notify]
Sherman- Desmond

Wanna play?

Barked: Thu May 22, '08 10:20am PST 
Since I am high energy and not a world traveler. My doctor prescribed 1/2 a doggy valium for me prior to boarding the plane. My folks did a trial run with the valium before the trip to make sure there were no nasty side effects. I was a little stressed on the flight out to California. But I was totally relaxed going back to Philly.
[notify]
Chauncey

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:37pm PST 
We won't be getting on our flight until November- we'll be sure to give a full report on how Chauncey handled his Cross-country Sherpa experience. We plan on having him VERY tired for his flight- probably give him a day at the doggy daycare the day of the flight.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3