GO!

Help - Can Dogs Have Strawberries??!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kady

Born to Sniff

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 6:35am PST 
Can anybody tell me if strawberries are toxic for dogs? I know that the good dog foods have fruit in them but I've never seen one with strawberries so I don't know if they are okay. I got back from the grocery store this morning, bringing in a couple of bags at a time in like I ususally do. She usually leaves them alone. I try to bring the "fruit" bag brought in last, but the bagger at the store put the strawberries in with some other stuff, and I didn't see the berries. When I got back with the next bag (10-20 seconds later - I swear) she had already gotten the strawberries out, popped open the container and was happily munching away. She got maybe 5 berries. Should I be worried? I've been watching her while I wait for a call back from the vet tech. She seems to be acting okay.
[notify]
Phoebe

" Li'l Missy,- wanna get pretty- ?"

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 7:01am PST 
Yep... strawberries are just fine. My dogs love them and raspberries too. Strawberries also have an enzyme in them that'll help keep your dog's teeth white and in fact there is a homeopathic remedy called Fragaria Vesca that people use to break down tartar and keep it off their dog's teeth. It's made from strawberries. I'm not sure about the green tops or stems but I'd probably remove them first.
[notify]
Gabe the Dog

It's Gabe. Gabe- the Dog

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 7:49am PST 
They like surprising things sometimes : ) I have not read much about strawberries, probably just in moderation (didn't know they would help keep teeth clean, interesting) I know blueberries are safe and healthy for pups to have also.
[notify]

Kady

Born to Sniff

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 8:01am PST 
Thanks! I didn't know that they were good for them, much less that they help clean teeth. Just goes to show what you can learn from smart Dogsters! I just got a call back from the tech too. (They have a weekend answering service that pages the "on call.") She said not to worry, Kady will be just fine. She did caution though to watch for the squirts since she's not used to strawberries.
[notify]
Lil' Lola

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 8:38am PST 
Oh...strawberries are wonderful for us four leggers! As Phoebe said they help to clean our teeth and they have a pretty low caloric value and therefore make a great snack. However, I advise eating them in moderation. We have a strawberry patch in our backyard and last summer Chunky got into it and ate a ton of them. He had no ill effects other than the runs for a couple of days! red face Enjoy your strawberries this summer!
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 8:44am PST 
strawberries and cream ...pawlease!!!!! boldog
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 8:54am PST 
Oh I love eating strawberries straight from the patch! I make mum take me out to pee so I can get a snack. (Sometimes I dont even pee!laugh out loud
[notify]
Kuma

Desperately cute- & stinky!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 9:03am PST 
snoopy Strawberries are the bestest!!! snoopy
[notify]
Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 9:07am PST 
Mmmmmm...strawberries, blueberries, bananas and yogurt is me and mom's favorite summer time snack! Even better if the yogurt is replaced by whipped cream, but mom doesn't let us have that one too often. laugh out loud
[notify]
Firefly

Lighting up my- mom's heart....

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 10:01am PST 
I am glad they are fine! I ate some last nite and mommy gave in..Tee-hee...I got my white chin stained.Bol
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2