GO!

MASTIFF not eating...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Makaveli PSDIT

I Can Has Lovin'- Nao?

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 5:21pm PST 
Okay, so I posted a few days before saying how Mak is extra Gassy on TOTW. No, it is not the protein source that is causing this, so I have no idea. Now I've noticed his eating habits have changed. He used to eat about four cups a day, Mak has always been tall and lean(for a cane corso) he hasn't put on any weight since last month and now he is only eating 1 to 2 bowls of food a day. What could be causing this? does he just not like TOTW? because when I offer him Raw chicken legs and such he gobbles it down (what dog wouldn't) I know he's not too happy about having to eat Kibble a couple times a week but what can I do to make him eat? he will only eat it if he literally is starving and has no choice. It's worrying me, I called my dumb vet and he recommends "science diet" YEA RIGHT like I'll ever feed my dogs that crap...So now I'm asking you guys for some advice...Should I just switch him back over to Orijen so he will eat? or do we wait it out, or add some yummy raw meat chunks to the TOTW? someone mentioned Yogurt in my last post(to help with the gas) so I tried that and Mak ate the yogurt and left the Kibble...lol shrug
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 5:44pm PST 
At 8 mos old, it may be time for him to cut back a little. They go through growth spurts just like people do, and sometimes they need more than normal, sometimes less. By "bowl full" what do you mean? At 8 mos old, he should be eating 2 meals a day, with the recommended amount divided up amongst those two meals. Are you sure you are not overfeeding him?
Also, be careful with the Taste of the Wild. At his age, he *may* be out of the woods, but it is not appropriate for ANY growing puppy, despite what they have to say about it being an all life stages food. I'd put him back on Orijen simply because I like the company better, and they have a great large breed puppy formula, and the 6 fresh fish formula is all life stages.
Also, if he's gassy, that may be an indication that the food is upsetting his stomach. Burger King onion rings do me in. I could kill my husband in a dutch oven after eating those suckers. But they also make my tummy feel AWFUL. Perhaps he's having the same problem. Gas is usually a sign of something not agreeing with him, so I'd consider switching because of that as well.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 5:47pm PST 
Also, combining raw and kibble is not necessarily a good idea. They digest at differet rates and need a completely different environment to digest. By feeding them together, you are inevitably leaving one to stew in the stomach which can cause gastric upset and even infections if the dog is immuno-compromised in any way. I feed raw, and I definitely think you should continue feeding it (if not switch completely to it), but do it separate from kibble. Have a kibble breakfast and raw dinner or vice versa.
[notify]

Geisha

Minion of- Destruction!!

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 6:08pm PST 
Bam Bam dutch ovenbig laughbig laugh Bam Bam onion rings big laughbig laughbig laugh
[notify]
Makaveli PSDIT

I Can Has Lovin'- Nao?

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 6:19pm PST 
Thanks Bam-Bams Mum! It may be time to cut back but I'm not sure as Mak is a little underweight. It might be because he is so tall, that he is getting his height, and then will fill out later. By bowl full I mean that he gets 1 cup of food,about three or four times a day and he never gets bloat and Mak is not overweight. I think just to be safe I will put him back on Orijen and maybe cut back by a bowl or two as you said, we did have him on their large breed puppy and he was doing great but I do rotation with all my dogs as Mak and the others get bored and won't eat the same bag of food two months in a row. He eats kibble about three-four times a week and raw the rest of the week, there are few stores where I can get clearance meat so we have had to switch partially to Kibble. I never mix it together but I was so desperate for an answer today I just threw that suggestion out there. I don't want him loosing anymore weight. We do vet checks every single month and even the vet noticed Mak is loosing weight. I don't want to bulk him up, just make sure he is at his appropriate weight. You're right about the Kibble not agreeing with Maks stomach, so I'm gonna put him back on Orijen becuase I don't want him to feel sick as you said. Thanks again and plz comment back if you feel I'm doing something wrong with Mak, after all you are far more experienced than I am with the breed. snoopy
[notify]
Geisha

Minion of- Destruction!!

Barked: Tue Mar 23, '10 6:28pm PST 
May I suggest if you have gas issues, a probiotic & /or digestive enzymes can be added with the kibble.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 6:09am PST 
Mastiffs (and mastiff types) usually grow up and then out. I have some pics of Bam-Bam as a puppy where he was all sorts of goofy looking. Granted, he was very ill then too, but mastiffs go through the "puppy uglies" where they are all leggy and skinny. They grow up and then they grow out. It's better for him to be a little bit underweight right now anyhow, as his joints are still growing and i'm betting his growth plates are still open.

ETA: If you are feeding so many times a day, that may be the problem too. He's already been satisfied by the previous meal and doesn't have the necessity to eat the current meal.

Edited by author Wed Mar 24, '10 6:10am PST

[notify]