GO!

Adding Vitamin E (preservative) to homemade treats

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Jersey

Born to Run

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 4:30pm PST 
When adding vitamin E as a natural preservative to homemade dog treats, does anyone know how much I should add? Say I am making 1/2 pound of treats... how much liquid vitamin E is appropriate?

Thanks!
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 4:36pm PST 
What are you trying to preserve? Vitamin E helps prevent fats and oils from going rancid, so if you're making some sort of really greasy/oily treat adding some vitamin E might help keep them stable, but it won't, say, keep cookies from molding. I'd venture a guess that figures for dosing vitamin E when using fish oil supplements might be a good guideline to use if you think your treats will benefit from added vitamin E.

dog Mmmmm... We love homemade treats!
[notify]