GO!

Raw diet and small dogs and toy breeds

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Other posts by this user

Barked: Mon Sep 12, '05 8:00am PST 
Here is little info:

http://rawfed.com/myths/toybreeds.html
[notify]
Dogster HQ

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '05 11:17am PST 
Woof woof doggies!

Honestly, we don't know what to do with this thread. We'd love to close it because this topic has lead to some BIG fights before, none of which resolved any opinions to one side or the other. Also, from a macro perspective we all know that this isn't going to be the last time the world discusses the raw diet. And we also know that you can't trust everything you read on a webpage ... in fact it's usually the oppposite that is true. So debating what one website says vs. another is often as useful as debating what CNN says compared to FOX, as both sides are often incomplete, or worse flawed.

We really hate to see any forum go south. But we hate worse to have to close it. So we are going to leave this forum open, but PLEASE let's just leave this one around for the benefit of new dogs to share what they know and experience about the raw diet as I see new faces in here and that is great. But this thread will be open to ALL experiences with raw diets not just those that one or two people think is the only definition. Once it stops being an open forum for discussion and becomes a "you're wrong I'm right" or a "how dare you say that about me" then it's gone.
Paris-- CGC &- Therapy Dog

Missy Wiggle- Butt

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '05 9:40am PST 
As I am only 11 lbs I am a small dog. But I eat a raw diet. The kind of things I get to eat are: Pork neck bones, pieces of cornish game hen, rabbit, duck, pheasant, and chicken. I also eat beef tripe. And I chew on beef ribbies. If you have any questions about feeding raw to a small dog feel free to ask me. Ginger can handle those big doggies, I can't imagine mommy giving me a whole chicken or a rack of beef ribs for supper, although it would be fun!
[notify]

Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '05 1:12pm PST 
The only raw I will eat is beef - either small bits or ground up. I turn the other way if anything else raw is offered. It does upset my stomach though - I get the runs after eating raw meat and so does Pepe.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '05 1:37pm PST 
Many dogs are "addicted" to kibble because of the smell and fat added on for palitability, some dogs will refuse to eat raw at first, others take to it immediately.

As far as runny stool, it's a digestion issue from the kibble to the raw, too rich a meat or organ. If I feed to much organ at one meal, they both get runny poo. This is not diahrreah, but just loose stool, which is actually what most dogs get when switching kibbles and even more will get when switching to Evo, the meat protein is so much higher in raw and Evo that it usually takes the system a day or so to get the gut flora going and digest properly. Chicken is the most widely used item to initially switch, as it is fairly easy to digest, inexpensive and easy to get. The redder and richer the meat, the slower the introduction of the food should be.

FYI... And a side note on ground meat, the bacterial count is higher on ground meat than on a hunk of meat.

Some info:

http://rawfed.com/myths/honest.html
[notify]
George- Underwood

THE ORIGINAL- CHICK MAGNET

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '05 2:07pm PST 
Dont pups like me have other nutritional requirements that raw food cannot provide, and how about Bacteria? When humans handle raw food they must continually wash their hands, but ultimately cook it to a certain degree to prevent e-coli, samonella, etc. I eat raw veggies occasionally (except for onions), Euko & Missing Link w/glucosamine. Maybe I'm missing something here!
[notify]
George- Underwood

THE ORIGINAL- CHICK MAGNET

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '05 2:07pm PST 
Forget this my message printed twice somehow...see above
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '05 6:57am PST 
Here is a prior recent post about bacteria:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/index.php?t=78292
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '05 12:35pm PST 
As I have said many times, Rosie hardly eats any kibble and when she does it's only a couple of pieces and then probably about two or three times a week. And yes, it is an upset stomach, not just a runny poop. It's easy to tell the difference. She usually eats small pieces of beef (as we rarely have ground beef).
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '05 1:01pm PST 
I have a little (long) thought on this issue. I don't eat raw, and I don't know anyone "personally" (as opposed to dogster people) who feed their dogs raw food, but I have a little quasi-educational guess on what's happening to Rosie. smile

A lot of times, when people try a new form of diet on their dogs, they freak out when they see loose stool or other signs of the dog suffering from mild or severe stomachache. Sometimes, dogs vomit after eating a new form of food too, and that really alarms people.

I personally think that these symptoms of "illness" (nausea, vomiting, stomachache) often means that there's either something wrong with food (example: the food is rotten) or there's something wrong with the dog's compatibility of food (example: the dog is allergic to that food). However, this is not always true.

There ARE exceptions. I especially think when it comes to people debating whether or not raw diet is "compatible" or "incompatible" with their dog, and USING these symptoms of illness as an indicator of this "compatibility" question, I think this expception applies more frequently than GENERAL cases of a dog's sickness following eating an unusual food.

Sometimes, I think dogs WILL get sick when they eat something they haven't eaten before. They get sick NOT because there's something wrong with something they used to eat or something they tried new for the first time. They simply get sick, because everytime a new food gets introduced to their digestive system, it needs to readjust how it works before it can readily accept that new food.

This phenomena happens to people as well. When people go on Atkins diet (a weird hip diet nowadays which people ingest meat and fat only, and no carbos), their digestive system sort of reprograms itself to adjust to that diet over time. When these people all of a sudden ingest a bowl of pasta months after being strictly on an Atkins diet, they get sick. They will get severe stomachache. They might even vomit.

If you wonder: was the pasta rotten? Are these people now and forever unable to eat pasta? Are they now allergic to pasta? Are they incompatible to pasta? None of these are true. Of course people can always switch back to eating pasta, and unless they happen to be those few people who happen to be allergic to wheat for one reason or another, they don't all of a sudden become allergic to wheat just because they've been eating meat for months.

If you serve a vegan person a steak, the same phenomenon will happen. I know I'm going off on a tangent, but this vegan dude made a documentary movie about him eating BigMacs for 30 days. The first time he ate a big juicy burger, he threw up and he made some comment about how he threw up because the burger is all unhealthy. At that moment, the people in the movie theater who were even remotely related to health field sneered and called him an uninformed whiner. Of course he threw up because as a vegan, he never had that kind of food in years. Of course he threw up because he just shocked his system with these new foods. His body did NOT reject that food because it somhow magically KNEW that burgers are relatively unhealthy compared to his usual vegan diet.

Going back to the topic, the point I'm trying to make is this: If you have raised your dog on raw food all its life, it will thrive on raw food. If you raised your dog on kibbles all its life, it will thrive on kibbles. If you have raised your dog on home cooked meal all its life, it will thrive on that as well. HOWEVER, if you ever decide to switch from one form of food to another, it CAN also thrive, given that you have the patience to stick with it. There is NO such thing as "my dog can't eat this because he's just special that way" UNLESS it has ALLERGIES or other form of DIAGNOSED conditon that prohibits it from eating that specific food. Let me emphasize here also that the statment: "well my dog's old diet must be better than the new diet because.. LOOK my dog got sick!" (this is often the reasoning people use to promote one form of diet over another) can also look somewhat silly.

In the end, pet diet is about choice. You, the owner, make that choice because it makes sense to you, and it fits your lifestyle. UNLESS your dog has SPECIFIC health related condition, your dog DOES NOT make that choice for you, as your dog CAN and WILL adjust to and THRIVE on any form of diet over time.

Not one diet is better or worse than the other - they're just different. If you are careful and sensible about what you feed to your dog, and if you make sure that your dog gets all the nutrients it needs one way or the other, your dog will do well. smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4