GO!

Question About Bones

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 6:40pm PST 
I'm just curious. There's a breed specific site I play on sometimes and one person was asking about bones. I suggested how I've made dinner for the family and roasted a butcher donated bone as a treat for the dogs.

One of the moderators went ballistic that you NEVER give a dog a cooked bone. But then again this boy goes on to say that when he slaughters a deer he'll throw his dogs a whole legred face

Okay call me a city wuss but no, just no....
I'll respect people who do raw if they can stomach it and feel they're doing the right thing but I couldn't.

So really, is there something I should know about cooked bones or is just a preference some people have?
I know not to give chicken or fish bones and to take away ribs if they shard.

I'm curious because Sophie will eat a pork bone-well cooked-down to the last bite, and she has for years, without any ill effects.
Is there something I should know?

red facered facered faceSorry just imagining a deer leg...I get upset when she stalks a chipmunk nevermind throwing her a legeek
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 10:34am PST 
Here is a link that explains some of the potential dangers cooked bones can pose for dogs.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/20 10/05/19/caution-bones-can-kill-your-dog-find-out-which-ones-are-saf e.aspx

(Please remember to remove any spaces that may appear in the URL.)

Edited by author Sun Dec 15, '13 10:37am PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 2:51pm PST 
Cooked bones are brittle and can splinter causing all kinds of problems. (Not always, but when it happens it is bad) You can feed raw bones from the butcher, cut the bones out of whatever before cooking or treat to chicken leg quarters.
[notify]

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 5:11pm PST 
In my limited experience eating lots of bone is dangerous as an impaction can happen. My dogs have all eaten too much bone at some point and have to pass what looks like concrete. If eaten with food then the problem might be less but is still there.

Poky stuff like bone shards, feathers, bits of ceramic haven't been a problem with my dogs. The gut sorts it out so they go through safely. Lucky? You bet we have been! And now Ginger knows it is a bad idea to eat feathers....

A combination of eaten bone plus shards could be deadly if the mass forms before the gut sorts out the sharp stuff.

Eating a piece of meat that has some bone inside, now that works. Eating a piece of meat with bone inside that doesn't get completely eaten works. Giving a bone that gets gnawed on can break teeth.

Give your dog a dried tendon or bully stick or pig/lamb/cow ear, not a bare bone! If interested in giving a meaty bone then try a raw whole pig foot which is mostly tendons, ligaments and extremely tough skin or raw BBQ type beef rib with the delicious meat on. So called soup bones around here cost more than meaty beef ribs and are completely bare of meat plus they are very hard weight bearing bones of very heavy animals. Edible dried bones will cause very hard poop if the dog eats much of it.

I now think it unfair to give dogs something that seems like it should be eaten but cannot be safely. I would rather give a stuffed kong than take away bare bone. My plan now is to give something big enough that Ginger will walk away before she has to gnaw on bare bone. Besides she is on to me.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 9:29pm PST 
Cooked bones are more prone to splintering which can cause internal lacerations from what I understand. I've also been advised to avoid load bearing bones because they are more dense and can break teeth.

My dog regularly gets raw rib bones to keep him occupied. They last for a while and they satisfy his natural urge to chew with something biologically appropriate. I don't think there is any issue with giving a whole leg other than the issue of the femur bone. Chewing through the meat and tendon is really good for oral health way to go
[notify]
Harley

Mommy. Mommy!- Whatcya doin'- Mommy?!

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 6:53am PST 
As others have said, cooked bones are the real issue since they can splinter and cause all kinds of problems. If you've been doing it for years they I would venture to say you've been extremely lucky, but it's not a practice I would recommend continuing.

In addition to raw bones being safer, there's also the part that they are healthier. When cooking meat you actually destroy a large amount of the protein, vitamins and nutrients in the bones, effectively reducing the nutritional value for your pup.

about 60-80% of Harley's diet is raw meaty bone and she can eat a whole raw chicken (bones and all) within about 2 days. The larges bone I've given her is a turkey drumstick and she was able to eat the ends off it, but wasnt able to chew up the whole thing because it was too hard. Still, the act of trying helps keep her teeth clean and since she's also teething still I'm sure it just feels good on her.

If you want to give bones, try a chicken drumstick and you can even leave the meat on it. Just cut a couple lines down the meat the first time with a knife to help your pup get a handle on the meat until they learn how to eat it. Within no time they will likely be eating the whole thing completely and loving it!.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 7:49am PST 
I certainly agree with everyone else that giving your dog a cooked bone can lead to disaster. The bone splinters and can tear the intestines in your dog. It will be too late usually to save your dog when you realize something is wrong. I freak out whenever I hear somebody giving dogs cooked bones - one day the luck will certainly run out and you will end up with a huge vet bill and the loss of your pet. Give a little dog that does not have the jaw power to break a bone might be okay, but still, why chance it.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 9:14pm PST 
Bump
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 11:25am PST 
My dogs eat raw meaty bones (yes, fresh venison legs included!) but I never give them cooked bones. They have stolen a few in their lifetime without ill effect, but definitely not something I would willingly give them or make a habit of doing. Cooking alters the bone in a bad way as explained above. Raw bones are much more pliable (and padded with meat).
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 8:56am PST 
Cooking bones does change them a lot. They become harder, drier, and more likely to crack and splinter.

I can hear the difference when Farley eats raw bones. They "crunch" and "pop" instead of cracking. It sounds like he's eating popcorn or raw carrots, even when chomping down on a piglet or rabbit skull. Most raw, non-weight-bearing bones are quite soft.

I do give him raw weight-bearing bones sometimes, but only when they are covered in meat and I take the bone itself away before he tries to consume it, because they can sometimes break or chip teeth.

He never gets cooked bones of any kind.

Edited by author Sun Dec 22, '13 8:58am PST

[notify]