GO!

Royal Canin?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Baby

The Beast

Barked: Fri Nov 22, '13 8:45pm PST 
Last month we had to bring Baby to the vet because we were suspecting she was having back issues. Turns out we were right, and she has been on strict rest since then. While we were there the vet said she should weigh about 15lbs, and she weighed in at 21. The vet recommended their Royal Canin Satiety support, my mom wanted to buy it so I figured we could try it.

One month later you can tell she has been doing a lot better, and she has lost weight. She also hasn't been eating poop anymore either. She gets 1 cup per day.

Before she was on Natures Domain, she did good on it, but eating anything less than a cup per day had her running around acting like she was starving and eating poop, even with a full cup per day she still ate poop.

Do you think that this is a good food for her to stay on? Or should we leave her on it until she loses all of her weight or something? Especially now that her exercise is limited.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by author Fri Nov 22, '13 8:47pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 3:09am PST 
bump
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 7:54am PST 
This food?
http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/Veterinary-Products/Canine -Nutrition/Veterinary-Therapeutic-Formulas/Satiety-Support-Dry

Wo w, first ingredient is powdered cellulose and Max would get 25 grams of fiber if he ate it but also 50 grams of protein, a pretty good amount.

Apparently she needs more like 1/2-3/4 cup of a normal 350-450 calorie food a day but you don't think she would be satisfied with that. This food only has 290 calories a cup and it seems to be sticking to her ribs quite nicely.

I'd say this food is a crutch badly needed at the moment and stick with it. No poop eating, she is losing weight and happy? A winner. Look for signs that the grains aren't agreeing with her, goopy ears and eyes, smelly breath and coat, more itching. To get a high protein, high fiber and low fat food you would have to dress up a low fat food with green beans, pumpkin and lean chicken, egg white and the like so even though this food costs a lot it might be cheaper to stick with it at least for now.

No poop eating? You must be so happy about that!
[notify]

Baby

The Beast

Barked: Sun Nov 24, '13 1:50am PST 
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, as soon as she fully transitioned over to it, the poop eating stopped. Every other food she has been on she has always eaten poop, I'm not sure why this one made her stop. She does seem a lot more satisfied even though she is eating the same amount of food though. She has been very happy, except for not getting to go on walks. She has definitely been losing weight, she is starting to get a waist again. Nothing out of the ordinary like goopy ears,eyes,etc.

I agree this food is a much needed crutch right now due to the situation she's in, and it is helping and she likes it. Hopefully she will make it down to 15 lbs soon.

Over a month later we still have a bit left, but bought another bag last week since we were running low. So it's not too bad.

Even when she does get down to her ideal weight and her back heals, would this be a good food to keep her on so she can maintain a good weight and stay satisfied?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Nov 24, '13 6:13pm PST 
I would ask the vet and contact RC to see if it is suitable for long term use. Some script foods are meant for short term use and some only for dogs that need unbalanced foods. Sassy's kidney kibble wouldn't have been safe to feed a healthy dog for instance.

"Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Meal, Corn, Wheat Gluten, Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Natural Flavour, Chicken Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Soybean Oil, Ground Psyllium Husk, Fructo-Oligosaccharides"

Above are the main ingredients of the stuff. Almost looks like a limited ingredient kibble. Compare to the Nature's Domain posted below. It could be something in it and a lot of other kibbles is bothering her. I know *I* took years to figure out the vague tummy ache I often had was due to nut and melon allergy. I thought I was hungry, nope it was from eating one of the trigger foods.

A random Nature's Domain kibble
"Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, ocean fish meal, potato fiber, pea protein, natural flavor, flaxseed, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract,"
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 3:17am PST 
bump
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 27, '13 10:42pm PST 
I think you should go with the Royal canin breed specific food. Because your dog have different nutritional requirement than any other dog each breed have its own nutritional requirement. I,ll give you a link of online pet shop http://www.dogspot.in/shop/
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Nov 28, '13 9:34am PST 
Breed specific foods are a marketing gimmick, nothing else. Basically the only real difference between formulas is the size/shape of the kibble, which makes virtually no difference. They're another company that likes to say that that makes a difference in your dog's dental health, which it does not. Kibble will not keep your dog's teeth clean, no matter what size it is.

It is, granted, a genius marketing gimmick. People like the idea of feeding something made just for their dog. I personally would never feed Royal Canin anyway because I feel the ingredients are inferior and certainly not worth the price.
[notify]