GO!

Allergy friendly kong

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Jem - Kandansk- Emerging- Artist

Toy-aholic

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:48pm PST 
Hey all my nephew is coming home for the summer and he loves Jem but gets hives from her kisses. All I can figure is she's nabbing foster kibble or she's got residue from the previous day's kong still in her saliva. She usually gets peanut butter or cheese whiz, my nephew is allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts. Any ideas what I can give her for the summer?
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 10:28pm PST 
I would try a particularly appetizing canned dog food, and the higher quality foods can be found without any dairy, egg, or nuts. That should keep your pup happy and keep her interested in her kong, but also should save your poor nephew from having a reaction.way to go
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 4:13am PST 
Most likely he is allergic to HER saliva, not something she might have eaten. Allergies are funny things, and apparently all dogs are different when it comes to their systems.
[notify]

Rylee

Rylee

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 7:27am PST 
My boyfriend is allergic to dairy, eggs, and nuts as well (peanuts are the worst for us, dairy on contact isn't worrisome). Therefore, Rylee never gets peanut butter. We usually smear his kong with some of this dog food roll (usually Natural Balance - only time he gets it). We also put some kibble rolled in yogurt in it - because of his digestion it helps him a lot. You can put any type of food in it - that dogs can eat.

They are usually dishwasher safe as well.

Edited by author Tue Jun 18, '13 7:29am PST

[notify]
Jem - Kandansk- Emerging- Artist

Toy-aholic

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 7:41am PST 
Ugh Toto what a nightmare if he is allergic to her saliva, I'm hoping it's something she's eating. Jewel won't touch kibble and doesn't get kongs and he's never had a reaction to her. He hates his allergies and tried to deny that he was having an allergic reaction as his eye was swelling shut because he loves my dogs so much.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 10:19am PST 
I also am very allergic to nuts, especially peanuts. To the point having Sassy happily licking it off a spoon would make me feel ill with her hot peanutty breath. Never made the dogs any peanut butter baked treats of course but they did get it in kongs and I wash my hands in hot water multiple times whether I touched the PB or not.

Do try other fillings, it couldn't hurt. Of course all my favorites have nuts and dairy but you could try canned meat baby food or canned dog food.

I am allergic to some dogs and cats and not others. It happens. I survived 7 years with an affectionate bunny that raised welts when she licked me by washing hands and arms often though.

And teach both your nephew and the dog other ways to have fun together. She doesn't have to lick him and he doesn't have to pet her. At least sometimes.
[notify]