GO!

Best foods for puppies with digestive issues

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 6:40pm PST 
You might be best to choose the Wellness Simple to get the single, reduced protein, and less fat (this helps with the loose stools as well)
Good luck
[notify]
Max

Did you say- 'dinner time'???-

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 7:59am PST 
I hope you find a food that works for your pup. I went through the same thing with Max, and tried a number of different dog foods. Max has been diagnosed with IBS and Colitis, and he has a number of food intolerance's, such as Chicken and Salmon. I've learned that a kibble with limited ingredients is best for him, and right now he's on Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Meadow Feast and doing well. He also did well on Brother's Complete Turkey & Egg formula, but it's rather expensive, so I rotate that occasionally, to give him a different protein. I give Max L-glutamine and digestive enzymes with each meal, and his digestive system is healing nicely.
[notify]
Rylee

Rylee

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 6:35am PST 
Funny that his prescription food never gave him tummy trouble when he first went on it ... any ideas why his stomach isn't responding to healthier grain free foods?

Jace, I actually did go with Wellness but the Super 5 Mix - but it is also a single protein. He's eating whitefish and sweet potato. We're mixing it with his prescription food --- his stool has loosened a bit, but isn't diarrhea(thank god). We'll watch him a couple of weeks and see how his tummy is. I wanted to go with Fromm's but it was hard to come by and I wanted to try out smaller bags before I bought 20 lbs of it and he couldn't eat any of it.

Max - thanks I hope we find something too! His prescription food was chicken so we know he's good with that, the fish he's on now is a new thing. Wilderness was chicken and turkey. He's done better on the prescription food --- completely 100% ---- go figure. Here I am trying to feed him healthy, grain free foods and he's intolerant of some ingredient!
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 9:26am PST 
High protein/high fat grain free foods tend to be pretty rich, and sometimes it's just a matter of over feeding and sometimes for whatever reason some dogs just can't handle such a rich food. Wellness tends to be a pretty rich food so you may want to check out their line of limited ingredient diets called Wellness Simple Food Solutions which are a bit more bland than the rest of the Wellness line if the Super Mix doesn't work out. But, since you are still transition foods and your pup's stool has loosened up, have you tried adding probiotics and digestive enzymes to the food? Sometimes that helps with a finicky tummy and it can help with food transitions. Good luck!

Edited by author Sun Jun 16, '13 9:38am PST

[notify]
Max

Did you say- 'dinner time'???-

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 7:28am PST 
I'm glad the RX food is working for him, sounds like he had a rough time before. I know how you feel about the food, but hey if its working for him and he's doing that much better, it may be what he needs for now, just to give his digestive system a rest. It's so hard to figure out sometimes exactly what upsets their tummy's. Glad he's doing better, hope he continues to improve.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2