GO!

Will it hurt my dog to eat low quality foods once in awhile?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 12:12pm PST 
So once in awhile Hazel is given crappy food like Beneful...etc. Just like a small handful or a couple pieces. Maybe once a day...or every other day...will this hurt her?

I do not do this but someone I live with, who watches her all the time for me, does this. She also goes out of her way a lot to help me to. She feeds her dog low quality kibble, so she gives it to Hazel sometimes to.

She is one of those people that if I told her to stop it she would either get offended, or she would do it anyway. Because basically I would be saying your dogs food is not good enough for my dog...which is not the case at all. I just care about what goes into my pups body.

So how do I handle this situation? shrug
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 12:28pm PST 
What about if you tell her your dog is sensitive and cant handle the different kibble? The "Its not the kibble, its my dog" shouldn't offend her.

I have an iron stomach but my mom tells guests that I will diarrhea every where if I get table scraps
This prevents them from teaching me how to beg...shh
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 1:01pm PST 
If somebody fed Firefly something like Beneful, I'd be ticked. Not because it is a low quality food, but because Firefly has a bunch of food allergies and alot of her triggers are present in foods like those. She shouldn't be offended: you feed your dog the way you want and she should respect that. If you want Hazel to have treats, just buy a bag of good quality treats. way to go

I'm sure a little Beneful wouldn't hurt, but I don't touch any products I could usually find at the grocery store because I try to do my best to keep Firefly's tummy happy. I would make my specifications known.
[notify]

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 1:29pm PST 
Agree with the above posters. Fed in small amounts as an occasional treat, no, it likely won’t hurt your dog. However if you are not comfortable with it, she should respect your wishes.

I can understand that you don’t want to offend her, so just politely tell her your dog has developed food allergies and your vet wants her on a strict diet, so no more treats please. Even if your dog doesn’t really have allergies, buying a bag of healthy limited ingredient treats might help you make a point, plus she can still give your dog an occasional treat.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 1:57pm PST 
I would go off on anyone that fed my dogs anything like Beneful. Some are saying now that feeding Beneful has killed their dogs

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/7503 97

I am a food snob when it comes to my dogs, cats and my family.I have refused treats at PetSmart for my dogs, the bank, and even the daycare one of my dogs goes to. I carry the treats my dogs do get so if people really want to give them one I can be sure what they get is healthy and made in the USA.

So, I would tell this person no, my dog cannot have that food and if they were to ask why I would tell them, but no way would I allow it to continue.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 2:04pm PST 
Well. You are saying her dog's food isn't good enough for your dog. Which is fine. It isn't. No dog should be fed Beneful.

I'm guessing my personality is too different from yours to offer advice that will work for you. I would unapologetically (but nicely!) tell my friend that Beneful has poor ingredients including dyes and sugar and I don't want my dog eating it.

If my friend would not respect my wishes I would not allow her to care for my dogs. If living together is an issue, I have crated my dogs with strict instruction that they not be let out when I am not home. They are, after all, my dogs, and I don't need someone else taking care of them even if it is helpful some days.

Unless you've had the food conversation before and know your friend doesn't care, I would approach it from that angle (not preachy lectures! Genuine conversation between friends!). Because I do care a lot about my friend's dogs too. If they're of the mind that food doesn't matter, as many people are, I can respect that. Respect is a two-way street, though.

If you're close enough, I suspect lying about food allergies won't work. Unless you claim it's to a unknown ingredient in Beneful.

And no, getting little bits of crappy food here and there won't hurt a healthy dog. I give crappy treats sometimes too. Usually when it's all I have on hand, or if we're out at the pet store and someone wants to give them a treat - that's just fun. I avoid doing it myself, and I wouldn't be terribly comfortable with someone just giving my dogs crappy food on a daily basis just because. I like the idea of providing your own treats, if your friend just has a need to give treats.

ETA: What I would be concerned with in your case is the size of your dog. Giving my 50-ish lb Huskies a handful of junk is no big deal. Later in the day, they'll eat 3/4lb of fresh, raw food too. I used to live with 5 Chihuahuas. Especially as they got older, some would eat a handful of kibble a DAY. So "just a few" will turn into a much larger portion of daily intake for your dog than for larger dogs.

Edited by author Wed May 22, '13 2:11pm PST

[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 7:26pm PST 
Thank you everyone for the advise! smile It helped a lot
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 7:37am PST 
I had a room mate that would slip pedigree under my door. My dog would not eat the kibbles, this was how I found out about it. I was a bit of a creepy room mate and would collect the kibble and put it on the counter.

I told her he had allergies, so she would not give him treats or pedigree. This usually works.

I would not be happy with someone feeding my dog the dog food I hate the most. I would make up some story about how my dog has allergies and the vet put him on a special diet. I would also eventually tell my friend to look at facebook's Beneful page or send them a link to dog advisor's review. I really think people should know how bad some dog foods are. Some people refuse to listen, but I have changed some people's minds.

I let people try to give my dog junky dog biscuits because he won't eat them. They all know at the bank he wont. Occasionally a new employee will try and the established tellers will be like, he won't eat them.
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 10:15am PST 
My grandma keeps a bag of Kibbles N' Bits *twitch* dog food at her house to give as a treat to Jasper when he visits. I don't mind too much, because she loves him and means well, and he does not suffer from allergies.

That said, if it was a case of someone actively disregarding my wishes about my dog's diet, you bet I'd be peeved. I know roommate situations can be tricky, and keeping the peace is vitally important, so I'm honestly not sure how I'd approach it. I would probably say "I'm trying to find out if he is itchy due to a grain allergy, (whether he was itchy or not) can you please give him only these treats for awhile so I can figure it out?" and give her a bag of high quality treats. Then I would "discover" after a few weeks of research that he IS grain sensitive, and keep my roommate supplied with treats.

My store hands out a lot of high end dog food samples, I've brought these to my grandma to use as dog treats before.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 12:44pm PST 
For future reference, you might pull aside your friend and show the ingredient propylene glycol and see if they still want to feed the dog beneful over your wishes. It's in these moisty foods like kibbles n bits and also in beneful. It prevents moisture loss. It's in brake fluid and antifreeze. It's put into dog food.

propylene glycol

Edited by author Thu May 23, '13 12:44pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2