GO!

Changing from 2 meals a day to 1?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Banjo

Little rascal

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 2:02pm PST 
So Banjo has been an only dog for about 8 months now and since he lost his companion he just doesnt get that play time anymore. He still gets walks but since the play time has stopped he has started gaining some weight. He was always a very lean dog and has always had 2 meals a day but now that he's gaining weight he just doesnt need two meals a day. We've cut down portions in the morning but because he's always had a meal in the morning I dont want to just take that away. Any ideas on a snack I could give him in the morning so he still gets to eat something but not a whole meal?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 2:50pm PST 
Could u just give him half of the amount of food and still feed 2 meals a day?
[notify]
Banjo

Little rascal

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 4:11pm PST 
We have already cut his portion sizes down a fair bit. Right now he gets 1/2 cup bisuits in the morning and 1 cup of biscuits + chicken wing or mince at night. But he pretty much gets all of our food scraps everyday like toast, meat cut offs, dinner left overs ect. I just feel like he doesnt need the meal in the morning anymore with the amount of food he is getting but I dont want to completely cut out a meal.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 4:33pm PST 
Cutting out the table scraps would probably help him slim down.

As far as something to put in his belly instead of a regular meal, does he like any vegetables like carrots? Veggies are a good low calorie option that many dogs enjoy.
[notify]
Murphy

Dogs are angels- with fur!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 1:22pm PST 
Murphy was on a meal a day and was gaining weight the vet recommended going to 2 meals with the same amount of food. It's much better for their metabolism to have two just like for humans to have 3 meals a day instead of just 1 or 2. He lost weight going to two meals a day and has more energy. So I would recommend staying with two meals a day, it will not make him gain weight and will be better for him in the long run.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:19pm PST 
How about a natural chew of some kind? I give my two an evening chew to tide them over. At the moment they're eating Venison tendons and Lamb ears on alternate days.
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:53pm PST 
Its much better for dogs to eat twice a day.
Dogs that free fed commonly have an episode of vomiting occasionally because they have too much stomach acid.
What does he weigh?
My 60 lb dogs get about 2 cups a day. Some treats- very small treats, sometimes not daily.
If I feed anything extra I cut back on the dry food that day.
I would recommend cutting back the amount you feed daily, exercise, and find out how much food he really needs. His weight and the overall look of his body should tell you to give more or cut back on food.
Table scraps can definitely make him gain weight.. and for some dogs cause many stomach issues.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 12:20pm PST 
Huck is 133 lbs & overweight. Ringo just went to the vet and he's 90 lbs and according to the vet he's 10-15 lbs overweight. I cut down on their night time meal. Huck gets alittle over a cup of food and Ringo gets just about a cup. In the morning, they each get just about a cup of food but I put it in a plastic ice tea bottle. This way, they have to work to get the food out and they eat slower. I, just like you, also add left overs to their dinner. But I never give them bread, just whatever meat I have. So I suggest no more toast. My husband thinks I'm starving them but they sure don't look like they're starving. Huck looks like a beached whale and Ringo is catching up.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 6:07am PST 
I have to agree with H&R here. My pups free feed and self regulate with no problem. They do as a daily treat get to have a small portion of whatever we are having for dinner. They do not get bread,potatoes,pasta or things like that. They do get meat and veggies and have managed to maintain a healthy weight for years. We also feed grain free food since Mika seems to have a sensitivity to grains.
[notify]
Willow

Willow loves to- herd people.

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 1:45pm PST 
Try to stay away from the unhealthy scraps of human food as that tends to put weight on dogs as they are not as nutrient dense as the kibble is on a good premium food which balances out the diet formula. I have a one year old Aussie, who was on three feedings a day, but now on two a day. She gets 1 1/2 cups morning and night at the present time and is doing fine. When she starts agility training soon I will up it as she will need more protein to work out. You just have to experiment with the food. Try to s
[notify]