GO!

Is she eating a good food or could it be better?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:53am PST 
Well Kashmir has been eating Solid Mmellennia for a little over a year now. She seems to do pretty good on it. Her coat is never greasy like it used to be. When we walk with her harness her hair will come off all over the harness and she does have some dandruff. I started adding a fish oil supplement once daily and she gets glucosamine. I just wonder if i should try and switch her food to something more high quality?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 8:12am PST 
bump
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 12:29pm PST 
Solid Gold is a good food brand. I almost put jake on it before desiding to use Instinct Nature's Variety Raw Boost Dog food as a back up for days I cannot feed raw (aka the parents are over or feeding). Solid Gold had a few recalls that I didn't like and i didn't want to buy any aditional suppliments to maket he food equal to another type of food.

I like Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost food. It's a high quality raw based dog food with no grains. It works for both Sweetie and Mr. Beagle. Though i also suppliment Glucosamine for Sweetie do with her advanced age (10) and Mr beagle gets a powdered supplement and probiotic. Caroline also gets the power and probiotic. They also get Fish oil in there food.

I feed Jake primarily raw with a little kibble on the side.

Sweetie is on a newer brand of food called "I and Love and You" which is a dehydrated raw type of food. She has thrived amazingly well on it since I adopted her a week or so ago. She's put on good weight and seems happy. Though lately she's been stealing jake's raw.

I guess you can do better then Soild Gold but if the food is working for her it's not a bad food to continue feeding. Though if you want something more i suggest one of the raw brands of food or Welness or Merricks. I really stand behind Nature's Variety Instinct though. But it's very expensive.
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:00pm PST 
Thanks for the bump Squ'mey wave

Jake and Sweet Caroline- Kashmir was on natures variety and didnt like it. I had it mixed with her old food to try and switch and she would pick out the natures variety and spit it out. She refused to eat it. The solid gold is working really well for her, so i think i might just keep her on this. She likes it and its affordable.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:19pm PST 
That Solid Gold is pretty low fat and low protein. Perhaps enhancing it with something meaty and fatty could improve her coat? A spoonful of canned green tripe, a little cooked hamburger, a scrambled or raw egg? All are proteins in that kibble so shouldn't cause any trouble, just cut back the kibble a bit so you aren't overfeeding her.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 8:31pm PST 
Maxwell had a good suggestion.

Also did you feed raw boost or the regular Nature's Variety?

Jake doesnt really care for the regular one so i have to buy the raw boost or put hte raw boost powder (suppliment) on it.

I did more reading on solid gold and some say you are supposed to suppliment it with other Solid Gold products.

I know Solid Gold sells Green Tripe in a can and jake gets that when he's good. he goes bananas for it.
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 4:11am PST 
I'm going to speak up for nature's variety instinct as well. We can't do the raw boost since Sparkles is allergic to poultry but we do the instinct salmon meal formula and they all go crazy for it. We used to feed solid gold before but it didn't work out for us at all. We occasionally throw in a little raw with their food and on those nights they can't keep their butts on the floor to wait for their food lol.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 7:40am PST 
I never thought about doing a raw boost that is something to think about. I was looking into switching her food and trying the Blue Buffalo Longevity or back to Taste of the Wild. I am a little weary of Taste of the Wild as it was recalled a while back so i am not sure if it would be safe? shrug Any suggestions?

edit* She used to eat TOTW pacific stream formula for before she i switched her to Solid Gold and she did great.

Edited by author Thu Mar 21, '13 7:41am PST

[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 11:25am PST 
TOTW is great. I'm not sure where you live but i believe the recall was for East Coast United States. At one time i fed TOTW.

But i prefer Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Dog food. Jake likes it too for when he has to eat kibble.

If you want to spice up the food al ittle i would recomment a supplimetn like Missing LInk, SOlid GOld or RAWBOOST.

You can even do combination or rotational feeding between TOTW and Solid Gold.

I did that while we were moving. Mixed 1 (5lb) bag of Innova with 1 (5lb) of Instinct Variety Raw Boost Food in a large bag. And jake ate that for a while. he loved it. And it was econoomical for me. ANd gave jake variety.
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 3:23pm PST 
Somewhere in between our adventures with solid gold and nature's variety instinct, we tried TOTW and used it for a while. It did work great for us also and was the first grain free food we fed. The only reason we switched was we found out that Sparkles was allergic to poultry and the only formula they ate was the high Prairie one. Once She Would switch To adult formula, there would be chicken in it. We did try the Pacific stream formula and it was good but I wanted something better with a higher meat content, so we switched to nature's variety instinct.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2