GO!

I know this has been asked before. Weight gain!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Panda Man

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 10:00am PST 
I need to put weight on my dog quickly. I've tried the satin balls recipe but after finishing 1 batch there wasn't much improvement and the ingredients were too expensive to try it again. I have a wide variety of dry foods I can feed him including Evo (salmon formula and Turkey formula) Canidae Pure Land, Regular Canidae, and Orijen 6 fish. As well as a few other lesser quality brands like Triumph, Pedigree, Nutro, Chicken Soup for the dog lover's Soul and Diamond Naturals (beef formula and lamb formula) Other than those foods I have NO availability to any other dry food.

I can mix in canned food, or ground beef or chicken or etc. Anything that can help him gain weight. Keep in mind he's a VERY VERY highly active dog and anything he can convert to muscle or energy he does, and is still thin. I need -weight- specifically! Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 3:26pm PST 
Weight gain should not be done "quickly". It is not healthy for the dog. A gradual weight gain just like gradual weight loss is what you need to strive for. First of all, just make sure your dog doesn't have any parasites or worms or any health condition that is causing the weight issue.

Then choose a high quality, high protein food. With the Kibbles you listed, I would pick Orijen. The first ingredient of the dog food has to be an animal and the protein has to be at least in the high 20's.

Feed him the higher end of the nutritional guideline listed on the bag. Then observe your dog's weight. If he is not gaining weight, then gradually increase his food intake a half-a-cup for a week or two and observe. If his stools are staying firm and he is not gaining any weight, add another half-a-cup the next week or two and observe. You should start to see some weight gain.
[notify]
Panda Man

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 9:13pm PST 
I only have 3 weeks to add weight.

Orijen has a low caloric content compared to some of the other foods listed.

I'll wait for better ideas, thanks anyway.
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 10:31pm PST 
When my highly active Shiba needed to gain some muscle I fed him EVO along with eggs, high-fat ground beef (80% lean 20% fat), turkey necks, a dash of beef liver, and some oatmeal. He bulked up nicely and didn't gain any extra fat. I also took him on long walks and hikes and didn't skimp on playing games like fetch, tug, and wrestling. If his knees weren't bad he'd have worn a lightly-loaded backpack too.
So, for a 25 pound Shiba, my muscle building formula is: 1 1/2 cup EVO, 1 egg, 100 grams ground beef, 100 grams turkey neck, 25 grams beef liver, 1/2 cup oatmeal. Daily, split into two meals, all the meat is raw. He still gets about that but the portions are slightly smaller since he doesn't need to put on as much muscle anymore.

Edited by author Fri Feb 22, '13 10:32pm PST

[notify]
Panda Man

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 11:14pm PST 
thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that
[notify]
Panda Man

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 1:43pm PST 
Tonight I gave him Taste of the Wild with a splash of beef broth, raw fatty hamburger and buttered noodles.
[notify]