GO!

Anyone else sick of colorful dyes manufacturers put into our food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Jack

Jack - Cofounder of- Jackboy's Dog- Bakery

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 8:49am PST 
I mean literally sick? Years ago Jack got really sick from eating one of those fake bacon treats and puked all night. Yes, we were young and ignorant. But since then, we were at the pet supplies aisle last night and of course I read the ingredients on the labels now. My Jackboy does not need all those color dyes and artificial flavors! No dog does! So that reminded me to post a compilation we put together just recently about food dyes and their health risks. For the Dogsters here who have known us for years now, you know our bakery is all about all natural and we get really passionate about staying away from artificial anything. If they are bad for us people, think about how much more worst for our furry ones. Please share this information for the love of dogs!

Allura Red AC or Red 17
Asthma, Rhinitis, Cancer, ADHD in children
In Snacks, Sauces, Candies and Soft Drinks

Brilliant Blue or Blue 1
Cancer, Tumors and ADHD in Children
In Gelatins, Beverages, Icings, Syrups and Candies

Erythrosine or Red 3
Thyroid Tumors and Chromosomal Damage
In Baked goods, Candies, Popsicles and Condiments

Fast Green or Green 3
Allergies, Tumors and Mutagenic Effects
In Baked Goods, Gelatins, Sauces, Icings, Vegetables

Orange B
Allergies, Kidney Damage and ADHD in Children
In Sausages and Hot Dogs

Sunset Yellow or Yellow 6
Adrenal Gland and Kidney Tumors
In Baked Goods, Sausages, Gelatins

TarTrazine or Yellow 5
In Asthmatic Attacks, Migraines, ADHD in Children, Blurred Vision and Anxiety
In Snacks, Cereals, Jams, Instant Noodles, Cake Mixes and Candies

hailhail
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 10:34am PST 
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

If my dog's food looks like my morning bowl of Lucky Charms, he shouldn't be eating it.

Of course I shouldn't be eating Lucky Charms either but that's not the point shh
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 10:22pm PST 
I avoid artificial colors. I started doing this in college and my face cleared up. I still get acne but not nearly as bad.

I think artificial colors take away the integrity of a product. They are unnecessary and there is evidence of them being potentially harmful. Some people and animals are sensitive to them. Some people may not even know they are.

I don't like them at all, my answer to this is to buy products with out added artificial colors.
[notify]

Jack

Jack - Cofounder of- Jackboy's Dog- Bakery

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:35am PST 
Ya, they put color dye in farm raised salmon too. Gross!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:36am PST 
I don't do artificial anything - including supplements. Check out the artificial colors and added sugars on a piece of gummy multi-vitamin for children.

It still amazes me that some dog parents are so gung-ho over their dog's nutrition and completely forget about their own.

I'm a paleo dieter and I address symptoms with dietary adjustments instead of supplements as much as possible. I even go to a holistic doctor. And, of course, my dogs are on PMR and no, they don't use heartworm meds.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 4:08pm PST 
I wonder just how much of this stuff is in our food, that we do not even think about.
[notify]