GO!

Best way to store kibble?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:31am PST 
I got a very good deal on a large amount of dog food and the bag of Orijen in particular I'm wondering about storing it so it stays fresh since the bag is usually vacuum sealed until you start using it, there's a hole in the bag (I love ripped bag deals!) so now I'm wondering if the bag isn't the best place to store it. Your suggestions?
[notify]
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:47am PST 
I keep kibble in it's original bag stored inside a plastic airtight container. The container is clear and rectangular and fits a 15 lb bag perfectly. I have seen similar ones at the big box pet stores, feed stores and even Ross, in various sizes. I have a smaller plastic container with a ziploc bag inside it that I use to store a week's worth at a time, which is easier to dispense out of (also use it for travel). I make sure I always squeeze all the air out of the bags and keep the containers in the pantry (cool and dark). Have never had problems with it getting stale or bugs. I read somewhere that storing kibble in the original bag is best because the act of pouring it into another container exposes it to a lot of air, which can oxidize the EFAs and minerals. If I got a great deal on a ripped bag I would probably duct tape the rip and freeze the bag for 24 hours in case there were any bugs, and then store it in a plastic airtight container. i would want to use it up pretty quickly though. HTH.
[notify]

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 1:40pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions! It's still in the ripped bag. I taped the big hole(what actually happened is the store removes the UPC before they "sell" it under the table) but there are a few punctures from resting on top of the crate in my cargo area of my van etc. Should I just tape those up too?

Those are great suggestions. Also all my bags are at least 30lbs (The Orijen is 28.something)
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 2:04pm PST 
I keep large bags in the freezer, opened and unopened. Any rips I'll tape up. I have a lidded 5 gallon bucket in the pantry that I fill from the bag about halfway full when needed.
[notify]

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 2:08pm PST 
I don't have a freezer that I can do that with sadly frown

I currently have more bags sitting on my porch in a Wag.com box and it's still pretty cold here, hopefully that's close to the same.
[notify]