GO!

New puppy...what food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Ruger

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 8:25am PST 
So, Im excited to say that Baron and myself have added another family member... Ruger is a 10 week old Merlequin Great Dane weighing in at 37 pounds already! I know the protien level for these guys needs to be between 21 and 25%...Its extremely hard to find that in a Large Breed Puppy Forumla...or maybe im just not looking hard enough. Any ideas?
Thanks!
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 10:01am PST 
I don't think protein level as as much of a concern as correct calcium / phosphorus ratios. I know you want as close to 1:1 as possible. I believe Wellness and Orijen have large breed puppy foods. Play around with your pup and see what goes best with his system.. just take it nice and slow. Congrats, btw!!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 10:17am PST 
Protein isn't the issue, too much calcium is what you need to watch out for. You want your pup to grow at a slow, steady rate. Fast, bursty growth is where you'll run into problems, and excess calcium can cause that. Aside from finding a food with quality ingredients, calcium levels are the number one thing you need to pay attention to. The general rule is keep calcium around or a little under 1.5% and phosphorus around 1%.

I'd give the Large Breed Puppy Nutrition thread a read through. I've also heard good things about the information on The Great Dane Lady's site.

Edited by author Tue Feb 12, '13 10:35am PST

[notify]

Ruger

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 10:55am PST 
Well this is the food hes on now.. But i cant seem to find the calcium level or phosphorus levels on their website...and Im not at home to look at the bag....
Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Potato & Rabbit Dry Dog Formula
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 4:07pm PST 
NB isn't a real transparent company. You need to contact the company for that information unless your google-fu is strong.
[notify]