GO!

chronic yeast infections on skin

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 11:48pm PST 
Okay, there's Yeast and there's Allergies. Two totally different things although one could lead to the other which is kinda confusing but it can happen.

Yeast infection is usually caused by an under-active or suppressed immune system whereas an allergic reaction is caused by a hyper-active immune system.

So, it is very wierd that your vet is prescribing steroid therapy for a yeasty dog. Steroids stop the immune system so it is making a under-active immune system worse. And with antibiotics, it is also bad because, although these things could wipe out yeast, they also wipe out the good bacteria necessary to balance out your dog's flora so your dog's system just goes through another yeast bloom - which could possibly be worse - to replace the ones that got wiped.

Now, a yeast problem that is caused by allergies is when you have an allergic dog (over-active immune system) that is licking and chewing on his body and producing excessive tears causing the hair to be constantly moist which is a perfect environment for yeast to grow. This is a different problem than if the dog is yeasty because of an under-active immune system. This type of yeast infection can be dealt with by applying topical treatments in addition to minimizing the dog's allergy triggers.

But, an under-active immune system cannot be treated by changing protein sources. The recommended diet for a yeast infection caused by under-active immune system is to go completely sugar free - very low carbs. So, a premium grain-free kibble can help with this because they're usually low carbs (not all of them are). Look at the dog food ingredients and try to avoid grains and potatoes. Also try to avoid honey.

I have also heard about adding garlic to the dog's food but I've never heard of anybody I know trying this.

If none of this is helping, maybe a prey-model raw diet will help you until the dog's body gets back to balance. It is not as complicated as home-cooking. Basically, just buy extra meat with your own household grocery and give the meat to the dog without needing to do anything to it besides cutting it up into appropriate sized pieces. This is as low carb and sugar-free as you can get.

Hope this helps.
[notify]
Lacey

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 5:03pm PST 
Dr. Karen Becker has some great videos (on youtube and on the mercola healthy pets website) on caring for dogs with yeast infections on the skin (What to use when giving a bath, solution to use on the skin, etc).
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 10:08pm PST 
you might want to try a low glycemic food like nutrisca or horizon legacy
[notify]

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 8:52am PST 
Jazz--you have me hope!!! Since I am using Dermagic and NV Instinct that really makes me feel better. I am washing her weekly and applying the lotion twice a day right now. I have some raw food samples in my freezer I may try giving her some in the mornings. The first time I tried she ate it really fast and then threw it up. Pugs don't chew their food.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 8:57am PST 
Maddie's yeast is caused by allergies. She's always had allergy issues but they flared up REALLY bad when we moved to a new area. She has food allergies and she has environmental. I do all I can for the environmental short of putting her in a bubble. Until we move somewhere else, there isn't much I can do but wipe her off when she comes inside. I vaccum and dust regularly as well. My allergies also flared up bad where we live now. Maybe we should live in the desert! haha

She is on NV Instinct. No potatoes or grains. It has tapioca as the main starch.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 5:45pm PST 
I feed Orijen to my golden with yeast/allergy problems. Orijen is pricey (not ziwipeak pricey) but they just changed their formula to potato free. I'm very excited to start feeding this to my dogs. I feed the Orijen 6-fish formula. Grain-free and potato free. I also think it is very important to make sure you are adding a supplement for gut health. You need three things: enzymes, prebiotics (such as inulin and/or fructo-oligosaccarides "FOS"), and probiotics. Since the ph in dogs stomachs is so acidic many, if not most, of the probiotics we feed is probably killed. So, it's best to find a product that mentions it can be taken with or without food and it will survive stomach acid. Also, prebiotics are often overlooked. Pre-biotics are probably more important. Prebiotics feed the healthy bacteria already in the gut. Studies show that FOS feed healthy bacteria which in turn decrease unhealthy bacteria in the gut. Some very good products included: Mercola Complete Probiotics For Pets, Primal Defense Probiotic, Jarrow Inulin FOS, and Carmspack Sunday Sundae.

Orijen's website is in transition. It is not easy to find the information on the new formula. Here is a direct link to the .pdf file that shows detailed info of all the new formulas: http://orijen.ca/wholeprey/ORIDRYWEBBRO2012.pdf

If you decide to try this new formula, make sure you are getting the right stuff. The old formula (which is great, but contains potato) is still in stores. I buy from chewy.com who currently stocks both new and old formulas.

Edited by author Sun Mar 3, '13 5:55pm PST

[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 9:27am PST 
Unfortunately because this is an immune mediated issue, the best you are going to be able to do is to "modulate" the immune system. A food switch can help, if there are food issue, but as others have mentioned, finding the "right" food can be tricky. It makes no difference whether you use low carb, potato free, less sugar, grain free, or less of the ingredients that produce sugar, as does produce their own sugar in the form of glucose. Either way, glucose is always present. What type of yeast is it as well?

Edited by author Wed Mar 6, '13 9:30am PST

[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 6:05pm PST 
**bump**
flowers
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 1:49pm PST 
dog walk
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)