GO!

4 Health has a new grain free dog food.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 10:58am PST 
That's because peas is a high protein plant matter that is not a grain (as opposed to corn). When people look at the protein content on the bag, they don't separate animal protein from plant protein. It just says Protein and the trend has been for people to buy high protein stuff because they believe it is better for the dog.

Well, yes, high protein is good for dogs. High carbs is bad for dogs. That's pretty much accepted in most dog circles these days. But, also accepted in most dog circles is that the dog has a simple digestive tract that is efficient in digesting animal protein but not as efficient in digesting plant protein. Hence the trend for quality kibbles to always avoid listing plant matter first on the ingredient listing.

But when a person is looking at the bag, all they look at is the protein content and the first ingredient... they don't really think about whether most of that protein comes from that first ingredient...
[notify]
Colt

A cute little- devil.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:00pm PST 
I tend to think that peas are a superior ingredient nutritionally than grains and potatoes, but unfortunately dog food manufacturers are taking advantage of their high protein content to make their foods look better. Actually, Colt's current food is Dogswell Nutrisca which is pea based with no grains or potatoes. I have nothing against either grains or potatoes but I really like this food so far (not a cheap one, unfortunately...)

One thing you might consider is, if you find a lower-protein, lower-cost grain free food, you could supplement with eggs and meat and other things to bring up the diet's animal protein content. Both of those things can be gotten pretty cheaply.
[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 10:13pm PST 
what about hi tek naturals grain free?
ngredients:
Salmon Meal, Sweet Potato, Herring Meal, Ocean Whitefish Meal, Potato, Peas, Fish Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Canola Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Ground Sage, Ground Basil, Tapioca, Egg, Flaxseed, Sea Salt, Tomato, Blueberry, Raspberry, Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifido Bacterium Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B5), Citric Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Oxide, Selenium Yeast, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

It should be cheaper than TOTW and it's generally sold through feed stores, but they also have a store locator http://www.hitekrations.com/where.html
[notify]

Ch.- Rushwind's- She Who- Speaks

Thats Ms. Bitch- to you.

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:37am PST 
Why is high carb not good for dogs? Because it makes them gain weight or? Because I have an underweight dog and was told grain free was not the way to go for him, since it's like an Atkins diet.
[notify]
Laverne- Marie

Therapy Dog- Superstar!!

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 3:33pm PST 
I know this thread is kinda old, but I just wanted to add something. One poster said 4Health is made by Diamond. That is true for the grain inclusive line, but NOT the grain free line. Ainsworth makes it for TSC. Also, with the Natural Balance/Del Monte merger I've begun to use the grain free Fish in place of NB Swt. Pot & Fish. I tried others, like Wellness Simple Salmon & Pot. and Simply Nourish Salmon, but neither of those foods did as well as NB. They both contain tomato pomace and/or carrots which I believe aggravate one of my Cavalier's allergies. The 4Health grain free fish is working well, so far. The dogs all like it and eat it with no problem. My allergic Cavalier had problems with the shape of the Wellness kibble. I also like the price of the 4Health and their canned food is great! It may not be "top-of-the-line" but if it works, I'm in.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 3:58pm PST 
I think 4Health is a wonderful food, because when I went a little broke it saved me a bunch of money. Their kibbles are more plant based, but overall it is an average quality food, and I always recommend it for those who find higher quality foods too expensive. Firefly ate the grain free beef and did nicely on it, but recently I've pulled myself out of my gutter and have more money to afford TOTW ($28 for 15 lbs but I only feed it to Firefly and she is a small doggy). 4Health around here is $15 for 15. So it really took pressure off my wallet.

Despite any negativity, it is definitely steps above grocery brands. The grain free beef isn't like the salmon version- nothing unspecified in the formula I do believe. I think it really helps those who want their dogs to eat good without busting bills for it.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 3:32pm PST 
I came across info about dog food secrets- exposing the truth about risk in commercial dog food

http://iTiny.net/184081
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 2:56pm PST 
I saw this food in our Tactor store, My son no"s barcodes just by looking at it he can tell you where it's made wich country. as far as cosco that's a Diamond product plus TOWT. Diamond has had a recall and many of dogs have died our feed store even stoped selling all of Diamond foods,
Hope I didn't effend anyonesmile
[notify]
Hippo

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 8:47am PST 
I wish peas didn't get as bad of a rap on here as they deserve. Pea protein by itself is wonderful. It's as easily digestible as whey, contains more significant iron content and branch chain amino acids than whey does. I myself have been taking pea protein as a protein/iron supplement for a year now and I love it.

I have a dog that has a poultry allergy. It's a big hard to feed raw or grain-free without poultry. Here's why I like the food (this is for Beef and Potato):

Less potato and more pea by weight. It's easier for a dog to digest than potato, contains more amino acids and less carbs than potato.

No chicken.

Doesn't use canola oil as a fat source.

Adequate amount of fat. I wish dogs food would be higher in fat and not so high in protein. The only way to get this is to feed raw though.

Same macros as Annamaet Manitok Bison and Venison with similar ingredients. I was feeding this before, but at $78 for a 30 lb bag was breaking the bank. I moved last month to a very rural area as well, so that would limit my purchases to online. I liked this food because it used more peas instead of potato and Hippo does best on Bison/Beef. I also love the research the owner/founder of Annamaet has done. Very similar to Tom Roudybush (he makes bird food).

Downside:

Peas have less calories than potato. It has a decent protein content but fewer calories.

Still has potatoes in it.

Could use more meat. I pick up deer scraps from the butcher and live only a couple of miles from a bison farm now.
[notify]
Bartholomew

Cutie Pie

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 11:39am PST 
That’s a lot of peas! I prefer a dog food that has more protein. My dogs eat Only Natural Pet EasyRaw. I also like Only Natural Pet Grain-Free MaxMeat, but it’s too expensive for me.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-EasyRaw-De hydrated-Dog-Food/999244.aspx

The food you feed all depends on your dog’s needs. But, I wouldn’t feed a low quality dog food. Feed the best you can afford. 4Health is an okay food, but it’s mostly just peas and doesn’t have much animal protein. But, peas are a high protein plant food. Personally, I prefer sweet potatoes to peas, though. Check out Only Natural Pet EasyRaw. High carbohydrates aren’t necessarily bad for dogs, though. The only reason I would stay away from high carbs is if you have an overweight dog or a dog that gains weight easily. 4Health is a good quality dog food. Check out Only Natural Pet Grain-Free MaxMeat, too.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Grain- Free-MaxMeat-Air-Dried-Dog-Food/999276.aspx

I’ve only ever seen 4Health at the feed store. Peas aren’t a bad ingredient in dog food.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3