GO!

Vitamin E supplementation

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 2:13pm PST 
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. If not, so sorry.

IF (big if) I've crunched the numbers correctly in The Spreadsheet (you know the one I mean) my 14 lb dogs "require" less than 5 IU per day. That's not much, is it? Yet each and every recipe and combination of foods I've entered into the nutritional database come up short in the E department. After an exhaustive search, I thinkk I've finally an E supplement doesn't contain any soy, but it's 400 IU per 1/8 tsp. I was thinking a dose maybe as little as once a week, but even that's more than the "requirement" per the spread sheet. I've checked several books and several web sites, and the recommendations for supplementing E range anywhere from 50 IU per day to as much as 200-400 IU per day. Yikes!!!! Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? shrug
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:42pm PST 
I am not a fan of mega dosing either. Max needs about 20IU a day and he is getting 400IU per capsule at the moment. That bottle is going to last for the rest of his life! He doesn't seem to react to soy so I am not going to sweat it.

How about this one? Seems a very nice product but of course research it!
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/north-american-herb-spice-purely -e-sunflower-seed-vitamin-e-1-fl-oz-liquid
3 drops provides 60IU so 1 drop would be a reasonable amount to feed a couple times a week.

This thread from a forum for persons caring for autistic people has a number of possibilities listed.
http://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181880

I tried grinding sunflower seeds as they are high in vitamin E, magnesium and manganese but the poop production was ridiculous. I really don't think he was absorbing much of any of those nutrients. I will continue to use hulled sunflower seeds as treats though, he likes them.
[notify]
Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:51am PST 
I saw the purely-e one and considered it, but figured I'd get the same (well, maybe not exactly) from grinding the seed if I wanted to go the seed route. I also found one, the brand name of which I forget, that was a combination of sunflower and wheat germ oil. I haven't found much info about pros/cons of dogs and wheat germ, so that didn't quite set right with me either. Lew Olsen recommends 100 IU per 10 lbs (way more than the spread sheet calculation). Steve Brown recommends .... well, I'm not sure, what with all his charts and graphs, he never says x IU per x lbs that I can see.

I was really surprised to find out how little E was in the meat/bones/organs, given "hardcore" raw feeders insistence that dogs get ALL they need from that. I've played with a lot of meat/organ combos on the Self ND, along with throwing in different combos of veggies, seeds, etc., and I never did hit even close to the small amount of E K&K should have, but I probably did it wrong. I finally abandoned the ND Tracking thingy; my head was about to explode.

So if Max only needs 20 IU daily, you're not giving him a 400 IU capsule daily, right? Are you maybe dosing weekly, every 2 weeks, a couple of drops daily? The E that I ordered is in liquid form, so even just a drop once a week would meet my boys' tiny recommended amount. Or since E is fat soluble, one dose per month would still be more than enough. Oy vey! The more I learn, the more I'm confused. thinking
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:58am PST 
I use the liquid, much easier to give the correct dose. What my dogs get vary depending on what they are eating, and for Conker, how much fish oil I give him. I like the liquid since it can also be used on the skin.
[notify]