GO!

Acana dog food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 9:46am PST 
So I had never heard of this food before, and then found out about it at the vets office, now I have always been sketchy about vet recommended food so I looked it up on dog food adviser and it has a 5 star rating and is a very good food as far as I can say, I have been feeding Blue Buffalo to both my dogs but now finding out about this food.......it has a better rating then Blue and for some reason is much cheaper!!!! Needless to say I have switched my dogs, has anyone else ever fed this food, any thought or comments on it?
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 11:51am PST 
Both of my dogs are currently on it.

Lizzie, my 5 year old Chihuahua has been on it for a while and is doing GREAT on it.

I just switched Rain to it, from Solid Gold Wolfcub and she is also doing amazing on it! She is on Acana Pacifica at the moment. On SG she had tons of eye boogers and now they are completely gone snoopy
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 12:01pm PST 
Excellent food with locally farmed, top notch ingredients.

We fed raw for 2 years, but now lack the time to prepare it, so the dogs eat Acana. Their coats are shiny, their skin is healthy, their stool is above average and they stay lean and muscular.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 1:27pm PST 
Another paws up here! I rotate between Pacifica, Wild Prairie & Ranchlands. The dogs love it, do well on it & the company, Champion Foods has always promptly responded to emails.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 7:10pm PST 
That is great to hear!! My dogs love it so far, like I said I was skeptical at first because the vet recommended it but the ingredients looked great and a 5 star rating so we went for it.....glad to hear your opinions!!!
Having a hard time at the moment, my cat Winter has a urine blockage and is not doing well, that's why we were at the vet's.....we are doing all we can for him but not sure how this is gunna turn out .......frown
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 7:14pm PST 
I hope your kitty gets better... hug

That said, my dogs were switched to Acana a couple of years ago as the go-to dog food when I can't afford raw. Needless to say, it's made a few hours from where I live, it's extremely healthy, and yeah, it's a great company. I'm surprised a Vet recommended it though - I'm used to them recommending whatever they have in their Vet offices. That said, when I swapped Charlie to Acana, he went from having seizures one to three times a month, to once every three or four months. Great improvement if you ask me, and keeps him from having to be medicated! smile

The only frustrating part is that they had an oven go down on them due to a fire in a kitchen back in September, and are only just getting back to 100% production while they fill back-orders and whatnot(I work in a pet shop that gets updates from them), so other than the frustrations of being shorted on food from time to time and having to search for it, I love the food, and I love the company.
[notify]
Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 5:39am PST 
Wow that's great you found it cheaper than Blue Buffalo. I'm just now getting ready to start one of my dogs on Blue Buffalo and when I looked into Acana it's like $10 more a bag here. Glad you got it for a good price way to go
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 7:24am PST 
Actually Charlie, my vet was just telling me about that fire!!!
And yes not only did my recommend it, it is one of the foods they carry in their vet office, so I just buy it there now. They have both puppy Acana and adult and also they carry Orejen there. The adult food is about $10.00 cheaper then Blue Buffalo but the puppy food is about the same as blue in price.
Thank you for the warm wishes for my kitty, he seems to be on the right track now, although he has to regain his bladder control as he is dribbling everywhere, but anyways I suppose this is dogster not catster huh? BOL He has just been on my mins a lot lately with what he is going through.
That is great about the seizures....it's amazing what a quality food can do for your pets, I dont think a lot of people realize what a difference it does really make!
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 CL4- OAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 7:37am PST 
a vet recommended Acana? Yay! I love Acana, great food. We alternate between that, Orijen and raw. Your pets will love it smile
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 8:34am PST 
I am so glad to hear that everybody else thinks this is a great food to. My thoughts exactly when I read the ingredients, I dont know why I never heard of it before? Never seen it in any pet stores or anything, so when my vet showed it to me, as I said I didn't take it right away because I know they tend to push whatever they carry, but more research proved it is a great food so I took it, and I am glad, they love it to!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2