GO!

What to feed my new pups

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Bosco

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 10:35am PST 
I have two 14 week old American pit pups and I want to feed them right (of course, who doesn't?) I believe in feeding 'real' food however I do have reservations about going totally raw. I've heard conflicting opinions about cooking and to be completely honest, I don't think realistically we would be able to keep up with cooking for two large dogs. In the past I had a rotty I tried switching to real cooked food at the age of 7 but he did not tolerate the switch well, so he stayed on taste of the wild for the rest his life. I don't want to feed my new dogs kibble but I still want to keep things easy and simple.
I was thinking about a high quality commercial canned food mixed with cottage cheese, raw milk and the occasional protein item (eggs, chicken, meats) that's maybe left over from our human meals. I'd like to gather some opinion on this and see what other dog owners think about this.
*the breeder fed him Diamond dog kibble mixed with either cooked or raw chicken and cottage cheese and goats milk.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 8:29am PST 
I am not a big fan of diamond, they have had to many recalls in the last 5 years. I feed my dogs the Nutro brand products, it makes them look nice for the shows they go to, and they also like it.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 8:33am PST 
Sorry I hit post to soon. I also feed my dogs canned food mixed in with the hard food. And I have been know to mix in the left overs we did not eat with the food, and it has not hurt mine at all. You just have to make sure there is nothing in the leftovers that will hurt them.
[notify]