GO!

Antler Chew Changing Color

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Mycroft

What a t00b.

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 10:49am PST 
The Lady bought me an antler chew and at first the inside was white. After a few days of chewing the honeycomb mesh end started turning a strange brown/red color which darkened over time as I chewed it. I do not think my gums were bleeding and the color change seemed gradual.
Is this normal for antler chews, or is there some kind of bacteria growing in it?

As a side note, I just had a very serious episode of pancreatitis and so my mom is being very cautious with me, overall (I was in the hospital for almost a week and I think she was crying a lot while I was away). I know she definitely doesn't want to expose me to any bacteria, but with my condition, the antler is one of the few chew toys I'm still allowed to have.
Thanks!
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:49am PST 
Yep, that's normal. That's the marrow inside.

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 9:53am PST

[notify]