GO!

Stray needs to put on weight

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 1:52pm PST 
Taking care of a stray husky right now. He's horribly thin, and his &*^ prior owners shaved him (badly).

Already feed our two a decent kibble, so he's getting that with a little bit of canned, but are there any good human foods that aren't bad for dogs other than being fattening that would help him gain some weight?

He'll be seeing a vet, of course, to rule out any medical reason for being severely underweight, but for as long as I have him, I want to put a little meat on his bones.

Any suggestions? Supplements and whatnot are fine to suggest, but he's an unexpected expense as is.

Sweeet boy though. I want to end up keeping him, but my husband isn't doing well with the idea yet. Yet.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 4:29pm PST 
Kali has trouble keeping weight on. So, I add sweet potatoes and gizzards & kidneys to her food. Since I added the higher protein, she's put on 25 pounds! Feeding 3 or 4 meals a day can help too. Hope that helps. Oh, ask the vet if you can add Prozyme enzymes to the food. That helps them digest their food more efficiently. You can get it on Amazon.com. It's cheeper than getting it from the vet. Good Luck!
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:07pm PST 
I'll definitely keep the sweet potatoes and gizzards etc. in mind when I get to the grocery store, but for now, I guess it's good old peanut butter laugh out loud
[notify]

Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:47pm PST 
Worming may be a good idea too... so as you know HE is getting the goodness not the wrigglies.
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 11:04am PST 
Taking him to vet tomorrow morning for worm check! Getting groomed now - he was pretty rank smelling, but not his fault.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 11:32am PST 
A simple, inexpensive dish-get a box of store brand unflavored instant oatmeal and make one or two servings. Then thin it with milk, water or broth. You can add leftover minced meat,fish,vegetables be creative. It's comfort food for both dogs and cats, as a snack helps them get up to a healthy weight. Good luck!puppy
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 11:38am PST 
I accidently got my Huck fat by adding rice and table scraps to his dinner and giving him hotdogs for snacks and a peanut butter kong everyday. It was alot easier to put the weight on him then it is to get it off him now. Just gotta watch it though. Once they get use to eating the good stuff, it's hard to get them back on just dog food. I had to little by little wean my 2 off people food.

Edited by author Wed Jan 16, '13 11:41am PST

[notify]
Ace

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 11:54am PST 
It's all the more fun when you have a dog that needs to LOSE weight in the house too, and everyone is all excited over whatever the other ones are eating laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 12:55pm PST 
If he's medically sound and all he needs is time to put on weight, it's best to do this slowly. His body has been in starvation mode and you don't want to overload his system and make him sick. I'd stick to a normal diet and normal proportions unless the vet advises otherwise.

Thanks for helping a rescue. smile
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:26am PST 
Agree it's not good to shock his system TOO much, so he's just getting a little bit more than our two get. But he needs nutrition not just to gain weight but to get his coat growing back after the &^%$ shaved him. So that's the kind of little extra in his diet I'm hoping to find.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2