GO!

Canned food for a picky dog?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 9:20am PST 
One of my cousin's dogs is picky, she likes Taste of the wild puppy but she doesnt like other hard foods. Could we feed her a mix of that and canned food? She likes some of the canned foods really well but I dont want to be feeding her straight canned food.
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 CL4- OAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:44am PST 
I would assume because its a bit higher protien and fat is why she likes it better. maybe experiment with the other flavors of TOTW or try other high protein grai nfree kibbles that are similar in fat and protein. Yes you can add just a bit of canned food, but dont do too much, too often ( maybe a spoonful or so) and throw it in the microwave for 5 seconds.. canned food and slight heat sometimes helps a picky eater.
Start decreasing the canned food slowly when she seems to be eating more of the dry.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 11:39pm PST 
She is still a puppy at 7 months so thats why we have been feeding the TOTW puppy. Her brother will eat what ever the other dogs are eating. She is spayed and has been given her vaccines. I just want to get her to eat something besides the TOTW puppy because her owner cannot afford to feed the best food as he lives on a very tight budget. He does however take very good care of his dogs. Sending them to a rescue is not an option for him.
[notify]

Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 CL4- OAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:41am PST 
Understandable.. Canned food is more expensive to feed than dry, but suplimenting can help a switch over. Have him do some research and buy the best food he can afford.. even if its not *the best* it'll be better than some others out there I'm sure. No need for hm to feel bad at all if he cant afford the best of the best, hes doing what hes able for his pet, thats the important part!
[notify]
Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 11:45pm PST 
We bought her some cans of walmart brand dog food and she is eating like a little pig. She is happy as a lark eating the canned food and will polish off her bowl of food in a couple minutes flat. She loves the canned food we got her. It may not be TOTW but at least she is eating now. She and her brother were given to us as payment for us looking after them and their parents while their owner was away. Blaze will eat anything as long as it doesnt eat him first. Garnet only likes canned food and TOTW puppy. I dont remember which formula of the puppy though.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 2:04pm PST 
Of course you can feed her a mix of wet and dry food! There is nothing wrong with that at all.
When we first got Mika (she was not a pup mind you) but she would not eat, and then 2 days past so we got worried and tried different things. We mixed can with dry and she would eat it but on top of that, we also put just enough water in her dry food to bring out the flavor and soften it just a touch and she loved it. So you could maybe try that. Good Luck!
[notify]
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 5:24pm PST 
I am really confused again. What's wrong with feeding canned food? Toby gets the Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw food, Tessie and now our new dog get half kibble, half canned. From everything I have read a raw or canned food is much healthier for dogs and especially cats than a diet of straight kibble.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 10:44pm PST 
If your dog is picky, you might want to experiment and mix canned food with some of his favorite foods at present. You may find out that she loves to eat something else other than the usual food that she loves to eat.
[notify]
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 11:10pm PST 
Are you talking about Garnet and Blaze? I thought they were your dogs from a neighbor....now they are your cousin's dogs? I thought they were given to you as a payment by the man who is now threatening your dogs? I would be less concerned about what they are eating and more concerned with their well-being...with you or the "cousin/friend/neighbor/convict" they belong(ed) to.

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '13 11:13pm PST

[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:54am PST 
My puppy is very picky to! I found that she really loved "Chicken Soup for the Puppy lovers soul". I tried getting other good brands but she did like them. It is only about 1.50 a can and it has healthy ingredients. So it is a win win, my puppy gets healthy/tasty food and I do not break the bank smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2