GO!

Food Advice

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Kimiko

Star Fight- Princess

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:34pm PST 
I won't be feeding her any human food by thanks! smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:12am PST 
It's not the food but a sensitivity or allergy to it that can cause the runny eyes. It can also cause diarrhea,hot spots,itching,fur loss,rashes tummy troubles and other symptoms,all of which you will want to look out for while finding the right food for Kimiko.although some loose stools and tummy upsets can be normal when switching from one food to another,they should go away within a week. If you notice any of the other problems though there may be something in the food that is not right for her.wishes
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 10:56pm PST 
Guest why did you post all these things?

"GREEK YOGURT
Benefit: Feeling fuller for longer
AVOCADO
Benefit: Reduced risk of heart disease
BELL PEPPERS
Benefit: Improved immune function"

The person is asking for type of kibble wants to feed..

I never fed blue buffalo before, but it looks like good kibble.

Saya has had chicken soup for puppy lover's soul at first then wellness puppy kibble then wellness core ocean after that she was switched to raw. She gets kibble as a low value training treat she loves it. hehe

Saya has a iron gut does fine with chicken, beef, pork, duck, lamb, and so on.

Not every dog does well on same kibble. Bella had loose poo on wellness puppy, but I think it was due to dad giving her too much of it actually. Dad was known for overfeeding her adult kibble once I had him stop she had normal poo.

I know some shiba who are sensitive to certain things like chicken, but not all are like that.

Fish or salmon oil is good for the dog's coat. Saya and Bella loves fish oil. smile

I'd feed just the kibble once doing well on it you can try fish/salmon oil.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 5:50am PST 
Saya,
Thank-you. I did note in an earlier post that although I feed Blue Buffalo it may not be the right food for Kamiko,that her person should make sure that whatever s/he feeds it is something of good quality that the puppy does well on,likes,and fits his/her budget. I have actually read both the bags from Wellness and the bags from Blue Buffalo and aside from Wellness being $15 more per bag in my area and having a slightly larger variety in the grain-free line they are nearly identical. Were it not for my budget I would certainly give Wellness a try as well.
[notify]
Kimiko

Star Fight- Princess

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:22am PST 
I haven't heard of many dogs not doing well on Blue Buffalo, which is one of the reasons I've decided to go with this brand. I bought a bag of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Dry Puppy Food last night, lots of great reviews including people's dogs loving the taste. Kimiko is currently on Purina puppy chow at her breeder's house (and I just don't really like Purina, scary stories), so hopefully she'll like this more. If she doesn't, well it will be like me telling my child to eat her broccoli because she has to (until we run out of the bag at least unless it doesn't sit well with her.)

We'll see how this goes! We're out of town until Monday and don't officially get Kimiko until Tuesday.
[notify]
Kimiko

Star Fight- Princess

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:25am PST 
And Saya, what is it with husbands and over-feeding our babies? Mine does the same thing haha.
[notify]
Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 4:02pm PST 
Isn't it actually better when an ingredient list starts with some sort of specified meat meal instead of just a specified meat? When chicken is listed, that means chicken weighed before dehydrating it, which you have to do to make dry food. And chicken meal is the chicken weighed after is was dehydrated.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-do-you-rate-the-foods.html scroll down to "Practices and ingredients to be aware of"
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 7:49pm PST 
Mikal, you are absolutely right. A specified meat meal should come before any non-meat products.

"chicken" as an ingredient is chicken inclusive of its water content...if the actual amount of that chicken once the watr had been cooked out was listed, it would be WAY down the ingredient list.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2