GO!

Pedigree Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 47)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Mac

70 lbs is not to- big to be a lap- dog

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:34pm PST 
My pups are switching to a grain free food only because they are having a reaction to grains. Mac is 8 and healthy he doesn't smell (really he never ever smells which is odd) he has great teeth (we switched vets and the new vet said his teeth were exceptional for a dog his age) His breath doesn't stink and he is the perfect weight. Mac has eaten pedigree almost his whole life. There is more to having a healthy dog than food. I would hate for someone who was thinking of adopting a large dog to read this thread and decide not to adopt because the cost of food is too much. FYI if I spent $1 a lb for dog food it would be over $100 a month plus the cost of medications and flea treatment. Even the new food I bought for the puppies is less than $1 per pound.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:03pm PST 
Unfortunately, nutrition makes up a LARGE part of a dogs health.

You can still get HEALTHIER food than Ol' Roy or Purina without breaking the bank and going broke. I know of a few dog foods even in my store that are comparable in prices. You don't have to feed Orijen(one of the most expensive, imo), Acana, or foods right up there in prices. You can find and feed cheaper, grain-free, by-product-free foods. Just a matter of doing your research and looking around.
[notify]
Mac

70 lbs is not to- big to be a lap- dog

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:27pm PST 
I do agree it is important for a dog or any animal to have a proper diet. I also know that you can have a healthy dog and feed them pedigree or purina. (can't speak of olroy) I've postponed responding to this thread and did my research. Nowhere around me offers a grain free dog food for less than $15.00 more than the cost of pedigree. Right now I'm looking to spend an extra $30-$50 a month with the switch of food. The point of me posting is, like I said before, I would hate for someone who was considering adopting a larger breed dog to decide not to adopt because they felt they could not afford the food.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:05pm PST 
Dog food like pedigree provides more energy, nourishment and stamina to the pets. Those who are willing to hold pets in their homes are recommended to use pedigree to give a healthy life style to their pets.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:22pm PST 
Pedigree also provides dogs with corn and gluten meals (likely sourced outside of this country from Asia and other countries with lax quality control standards), by-products, potentially dangerous artificial preservatives, vitamins, and dyes smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:34pm PST 
Mac, that more expensive grain free food is going to last much longer than your bag of pedigree since it is much more calorie dense and your dog will eat about half as much per meal. My small breeds need nearly two cups of Pedigree or a comparable brand and now eat 3/4 cup of TOTW per day and gained weight.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:15am PST 
I would rather spend the $30-50 per month as opposed to the extra costs of Vet care later down the road, or dog forbid, NOW. I'm low-income, have two dogs, three people in my house to feed, two rabbits, and a baby on the way and STILL manage to feed them a food that costs me $55 every month and I'll continue to do so because it's what my dogs do best on. Yep..

But I agree with Toto, it lasts me twice as long as a bag of Pedigree of the same size would because my dogs are more full and their nutritional needs are better met.

Not to mention that the cost in Vet care I would have to foot forward for Charlie's epilepsy if I kept him on grocery store brands that are filled rotten with by-products, dyes, chemical preservatives, fillers, grains, etc would be extensive. Three seizures a month vs one seizure every three or four months? I'll gladly stick to the healthier foods that REDUCE his seizure activity, which in turn keeps his seizures from paving more frequent paths for MORE seizures, and not have to medicate him. Keeps him from getting stressed, and me too! smile

But again, as I've said before and will always say, as much of a dog food snob as I am, I DO NOT believe that it is the food alone that makes or breaks a good dog owner.

Guest... You've clearly not done your research.

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 6:16am PST

[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 47)  
1  2  3  4  5